Glitched out nod to U2

Trovador98

Hi all,

Here's an example of some stuff I used to do with an electronic musician/DJ. Using a KORG Kaosspad he would grab my guitar and bass parts in loops and then live mix with glitched out drums from an Electribe. Solo was improvised in real-time during his live mix. Just a jam but a lot of fun. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Creative - good combination of guitar loops, percussion and effect (the ending was sweet :) )
Mix wise - the percussion is quite dry and upfront whereas the rhythm guitar has some distance to it (reverb). I'd suggest trying to get those equal distances in the mix (in the same room). The fuzzy guitar is ok but I'm more a fan of less gain - it's not bad it's just not my preference.
Again, the idea/project worked out well I think - good one....

Creative - good combination of guitar loops, percussion and effect (the ending was sweet :) )
Mix wise - the percussion is quite dry and upfront whereas the rhythm guitar has some distance to it (reverb). I'd suggest trying to get those equal distances in the mix (in the same room). The fuzzy guitar is ok but I'm more a fan of less gain - it's not bad it's just not my preference.
Again, the idea/project worked out well I think - good one....

I appreciate the listen and helpful feedback. Your right, that ending was pretty sweet. Don't ask me how that was done! lol I agree with your points here. Unfortunately this was just a jam recorded into a stereo track so there's no longer room to adjust levels and what not. That harsh buzz-saw guitar is not my favorite either. I like your input matching reverbs to give the impression of instruments being in the same room. Like I said this was just a jam session that was the result of a unique method of working. I'll post more soon.

Mix wise - the percussion is quite dry and upfront whereas the rhythm guitar has some distance to it (reverb). I'd suggest trying to get those equal distances in the mix (in the same room).

That's the first thing I noticed too. Arrangement affects that too. The bass sounds very analog; the song is clearly EDM when it gets going, but starting off so analog sort of sets the expectation that the rest of the mix will be similar.

Cool song tho.

Good feedback. We're going to try and remix by adding some reverb at some of the upper EQ bands to try and get the drum sounds into the same "room" so to speak.

The juxtaposition of digital and very analog sounds is intention and really unavoidable with this particular set up. Just a note on how this was done. I'm a lefty guitar player and just happened to play that bass line with my buddy's righty bass. Not that it would sound any different but just an interesting fact that I was doing it upside down. Looped a bass line that I thought was cool and laying down some guitar chords made me realize that it very much sounded like a fast version of the song One by U2. Then layed down a few more loops using some of the other motifs from the song. The second pass was a live remix of all the parts with a live guitar solo.

We then did something similar to a Cure song. I'll send that one over once I post it. =)

Keep the comments coming...this is fun.
Brian

I didn't like it at first. But I gave it a chance anyway because of the U2 reference in the title.

I was very surprised, very good effort. If the mix levels were great, I could bang my ole lady to this track.

I didn't like it at first. But I gave it a chance anyway because of the U2 reference in the title.

I was very surprised, very good effort. If the mix levels were great, I could bang my ole lady to this track.

LOL - let me work on that mix for you then.

What about it did you not like at first and what grew on you?

LOL - let me work on that mix for you then.

What about it did you not like at first and what grew on you?

Well the bass and bongo's sound weird all by their lonesome. Kinda out of time and out of tune, but they're not, the rest of the song just needed to catch up to them. and the electronic drum kit, well it's electronic.....the guitar is great. I like the kik coming in. The mix isn't horrible. all the weird noises seem out of place. I don't normally listen to this genre of music, this would be "Electronica" yes?

Totally agree that the bass bongo part is odd...but I sort of like how it all comes together then makes sense once the rest of the electronic kit picks up. Those weird noises are the "glitchy" part. Glitch music sort of a sub-genre of electronic music where effects are sort of meant to seem like computer glitches, skips, crashes, hiss or some other jacked up electronic problem that actually sounds somewhat musical.

Back