Glen Frey

f o keefe

Hi all ,now this might amuse many of you here but Im trying to get my voice to sound a but like Glen Frey when he sang Peaceful Easy Feeling.. Problem is Im 76 he was probably in his 30s.Ive written a gospel song in the Eagles style more like Lying Eyes and love the sound of his vocal. Trying to work out an effect to make my vocal a little bit more passable is what Im looking for.. if there is an effect I could use to get a bit near it id love to know Thanks Frankie

I think when that song was recorded, Glen was in his 20's. Trying to get a 76 year old to sound like a 20ish year old, that would be some kind of effect that a lot of people would like to have.

I think when that song was recorded, Glen was in his 20's. Trying to get a 76 year old to sound like a 20ish year old, that would be some kind of effect that a lot of people would like to have.
Lol yeah I know what you mean.. But hey if I don't ask I don't get.. Thanks anyway

Perhaps the best that can be accomplished is to emulate his style, inflections and phrasing/timing. I have covered several Eagles songs as a solo acoustic performer (Lyin' Eyes; Desperado; Peaceful Easy Feeling) and that approach goes a long way towards accomplishing this - though that's about as far as can be expected. This doesn't work well as a recorded performance but it has been accepted well by audiences.

Yeah, I don't think there is a 'Glen Frey' plugin or rack module.

You can't use an effect to simulate someone unless their sound was based on an effect. His is just straight up singin'.

Do a search for vocal modeling software or voice changing software
Hi all ,now this might amuse many of you here but Im trying to get my voice to sound a but like Glen Frey when he sang Peaceful Easy Feeling.. Problem is Im 76 he was probably in his 30s.Ive written a gospel song in the Eagles style more like Lying Eyes and love the sound of his vocal. Trying to work out an effect to make my vocal a little bit more passable is what Im looking for.. if there is an effect I could use to get a bit near it id love to know Thanks Frankie

Perhaps the best that can be accomplished is to emulate his style, inflections and phrasing/timing. I have covered several Eagles songs as a solo acoustic performer (Lyin' Eyes; Desperado; Peaceful Easy Feeling) and that approach goes a long way towards accomplishing this - though that's about as far as can be expected. This doesn't work well as a recorded performance but it has been accepted well by audiences.
Thanks for this.. I did think copying his phrasing might help or maybe get someone who can sing like him to record the song.. By the way are you available?

Thanks for this.. I did think copying his phrasing might help or maybe get someone who can sing like him to record the song.. By the way are you available?
I am, but my voice isn't. I have lost the ability to sing well. I am about to begin a series of exercises in an effort to bring most of it back so I can put together my second album.

I have lost the ability to sing well
I'm in the same position. I had my thyroid removed in 2017 and overnight my singing voice went with it. I can't reach the high notes that I used to be able to do with ease. I can't even make high pitched sounds anymore. So I've had to develop a whole new way of singing and recording my vocals. Funny thing is, before, I sounded like no other singer I've ever heard and now, I sound like no other singer I've ever heard but I don't even sound like pre~2017 Grim !!
As for Glen Frey, forget it.

I'm in the same position. I had my thyroid removed in 2017 and overnight my singing voice went with it. I can't reach the high notes that I used to be able to do with ease. I can't even make high pitched sounds anymore. So I've had to develop a whole new way of singing and recording my vocals. Funny thing is, before, I sounded like no other singer I've ever heard and now, I sound like no other singer I've ever heard but I don't even sound like pre~2017 Grim !!
As for Glen Frey, forget it.
I've still got my thyroid but I also have hypothyroidism. I'm taking meds for this and wonder if the condition and/or meds may be contributing to my loss of vocal ability. I've got a fair amount of control in the low and mid registers, but when I move up from there it breaks - just air - and sounds like air leaking from an air hose. I may have to invent a new sub-genre of rock and call it 'Air Hose' to accommodate my style. Hell, if 'Shoegaze' works.. this should be a smash.

Oddly, every 3 years or so, I get this kind of head/chest cold which affects my throat and vocal chords. My range drops significantly from baritone to bass and - this is the strange bit - when I go high my voice works but it's a high baritone or lowest tenor. Only lasts for a day or two.

I am, but my voice isn't. I have lost the ability to sing well. I am about to begin a series of exercises in an effort to bring most of it back so I can put together my second album.
Sorry to hear that but I think Ive managed to do it by putting a slight double track on my vocal

The hard part is that much of the style on singing is part of the actual singing and there is little on effects you can use to achieve it (other than some bleeding edge deep learning AI systems that I don´t think are commercially available nor are a very palatable choice).

Being 76 is not necessarily an impediment though, it would require study and using exercises that counter the effects of aging and then taking a close look at his vocal lines and how he used dynamics and phrasing. Quite a lot of work, and won´t sound exactly like the guy, but is doable.

IThe hard part is that much of the style on singing is part of the actual singing and there is little on effects you can use to achieve it (other than some bleeding edge deep learning AI systems that I don´t think are commercially available nor are a very palatable choice).

Being 76 is not necessarily an impediment though, it would require study and using exercises that counter the effects of aging and then taking a close look at his vocal lines and how he used dynamics and phrasing. Quite a lot of work, and won´t sound exactly like the guy, but is doable.
Thanks Felipe, I've given up on that idea now so just sang it softer than what I normally sing like and I think it worked

But... but... you haven't tried the 'eating a chocolate bar under water while restringing your 12-string with your feet' method :eek::laughings::p:laughings:

You are certainly not the only one who has been inspired by Glen Frey's singing style! His voice is unique and memorable, and it's no wonder that so many people have been influenced by him.

There are a few things you can do to help mimic his vocal sound. One is to use a reverb or delay effect on your voice. This will give it a bit of extra depth and dimension, which will help it sound more like Glen's voice. You might also want to try using a slightly lower pitch than you normally would. This will help you to sound more like Frey when he sings those high notes. Finally, make sure you practice your singing often and work on developing your own unique style. This will help you to create your own version of Glen Frey's sound, rather than simply trying to copy him exactly.

Good luck and keep practicing!

In fact, many older performers would love to sound like they did 40 years ago, and they struggle. Not sure if it the same in the US, but TV adverts with famous songs are normally re-recorded versions to keep royalties low, and they just search for people who sound similar. Many, despite being great performers just have the wrong voice.

We get lots of 60's top-40 tunes used in TV ads, but they're mostly just the catch phrases or hooks rerecorded by no-name artists. Every time I hear one, I try to imagine what music those ads will be using 20-40 years from now when all the baby boomers are no longer around to relate to them. Assuming they still advertise that way.

Back