Giving up on cable internet

spantini

COO of me, inc.
Just got an eMail from the my ISP telling me our Congress has not approved funding to continue the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) to subsidize internet costs for those who cannot otherwise afford the service. Beginning with the month of April, all subsidies will be discontinued and our discounts will be removed. This will mean a 35% increase to my monthly bill.

I just finished setting up my phone for use as a hotspot. Next, I will have my cable internet service removed. I won't be hanging out here as much, but I will be checking in periodically. . . and saving lots of dough.

Just got an eMail from the my ISP telling me our Congress has not approved funding to continue the Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) to subsidize internet costs for those who cannot otherwise afford the service. Beginning with the month of April, all subsidies will be discontinued and our discounts will be removed. This will mean a 35% increase to my monthly bill.

I just finished setting up my phone for use as a hotspot. Next, I will have my cable internet service removed. I won't be hanging out here as much, but I will be checking in periodically. . . and saving lots of dough.
Good to save dough - but you may not have to give it up: White House renews calls on Congress to extend internet subsidy program - and it’s looking good for people like you who use it - the proposal is through 2024 with a budget to extend it through 2025 at least.

Yo Spantini with the subsidy how much are you paying a month?

I'm in LA and have fiber currently using Frontier...I have to negotiate each year...Got lucky this last year and got the right "retention customer service rep" smokin deal 500 mbs $29 a month...I have my own router. I know it's not the same everywhere. I'm paying @ $275 ( one lump sum ) annually with mint mobile. Unlimited talk, text and 15 GB of data a month. That works out to @ $23 a month

Well crap!
Any other options in the area?

Yo Spantini with the subsidy how much are you paying a month?

I'm in LA and have fiber currently using Frontier...I have to negotiate each year...Got lucky this last year and got the right "retention customer service rep" smokin deal 500 mbs $29 a month...I have my own router. I know it's not the same everywhere. I'm paying @ $275 ( one lump sum ) annually with mint mobile. Unlimited talk, text and 15 GB of data a month. That works out to @ $23 a month
That's a sweet deal you're getting! We've got Frontier and Verizon (fiber) in my area but they don't service my location.

Spectrum ISP. Standard full rate here is $84.99/mo. for 300mbs, no limit, internet only - that's before the $30 subsidy. My address offers no other internet options at lower prices other than my phone. Spectrum will most likely offer me $49.99 - $54.99 as a last retention offer, but now that I've got my phone carrier's hotspot working I can get by on it's data for $27 - $37/mo. I'm not a data hog.

That's a sweet deal you're getting! We've got Frontier and Verizon (fiber) in my area but they don't service my location.

Spectrum ISP. Standard full rate here is $84.99/mo. for 300mbs, no limit, internet only - that's before the $30 subsidy. My address offers no other internet options at lower prices other than my phone. Spectrum will most likely offer me $49.99 - $54.99 as a last retention offer, but now that I've got my phone carrier's hotspot working I can get by on it's data for $27 - $37/mo. I'm not a data hog.
I've found that using hotspot consumes a fair chunk of data on the mobile plan. Maybe because what gets served to a PC is more data than your average mobile site?

I have a buddy who went with Verizon 5G home internet. I'm not sure what he pays but he said it was locked for quite a number of years (3 or 5 I think), He can do streaming video with it.

Like TAE, I went from TMobile to Mint. I pay less on my annual plan, and went from 2GB to 15GB/month. It still uses the TMobile network. They also have unlimited plans. I'm not sure if that includes tethering or not.

That’s not so bad. For about 2 years I had no home internet provider.

Just my phone and 10 gigs of hotspot.

Most of my internet needs were satisfied with my phone. And when I hooked up my laptop to the hotspot. Ten gigs easily lasted all month (unless I watched too many movies.)

The internet is really addicting, but disconnected, you’ll discover how little it’s actually ‘needed’.

The only reason I have home service now is because wifey likes her Netflix :D

Like TAE, I went from TMobile to Mint. I pay less on my annual plan, and went from 2GB to 15GB/month. It still uses the TMobile network. They also have unlimited plans. I'm not sure if that includes tethering or not.
Yeah I use the hot spot on my iphone often no problem. I was on the 5 gb plan but started using up the data and then shit gets slow so I bumped up to the 15 gb plan this year. As long as you don't need hand holding to make things work Mint Mobile is a smart shopper way to go. Their customer service is OK for dealing with billing n such but your usually speaking with someone from overseas...That said I'm in to mint now for 6 years and saved a good chunk of change by skipping the major providers.

I've been using around 60GB on my laptop watching video only. My desktop is around 8GB for online activity other than video. I'm going to monitor my phone and adjust it's data to compensate. The 60GB of laptop video watching will have to go.

Back