Given Up On Audiophile. E-Mu Next?

Chris Long

Hi All
I admit defeat. Audiophile 1, Chris 0.

I have tried everything I can possibly think of, and everything everyone else could possibly think of, and am left with pops and crackles in my sound--or a large amount of latency if I adjust buffers to get rid of it. I have tried fixing it for the past week or so, all of my waking hours, to no avail. I quit.

So--I'm thinking I might try the new E-Mu 0404 card instead, in the hopes that whatever gremlins in my computer that didn't like the AP 24/96 will be able to get along with the E-Mu card. No guarantees, I know (I know that only too well now).

The cards seems comparable. I'm wondering what anyone knows about it--has anyone actually used one yet? Have E-Mu's products of the recent past been good, overall?

I figure it's worth a shot. Let me know what you think. And thanks again for all your help and suggestions over the past week.

Chris

Just out of curiousity, exactly what about the latency is bothering you? I certainly hope it is not just the fact that it is there.

In more than a few home recording situations, latency is pretty much a non-issue.

I think it's more important to try to solve your current problem out before diving into a new sound card. There could be driver problems, software clash issues, vst bugs, or a number of other reaons that you are experiencing problems. Run us through your setup and, more importantly, your sound card setup, including drivers, ASIo etc..
For reviews on the Emu sound cards, have a read of Sound On Sound or even my review here http://www.samplecraze.com/audio-tutorials/emu1820m.htm

But let's try to solve your existing problem out first. You might find that even after buying a new card that you still have the same problems, so let's salvage rather than ditch.

dachay2tnr said:
Just out of curiousity, exactly what about the latency is bothering you? I certainly hope it is not just the fact that it is there...

Thanks dachay2tnr, but no not that it's there at all. I know that latency of some sort is to be expected--just not of the Sun Records echo sort. I get 34ms at best, and even then it's right on the border of pops and clicks and dropouts (it would probably be necessary to move it to something in the 40s to get it really stable). Those are the kind of numbers I was getting with my onboard sound--and bizarre as it may seem, I had better luck (latency-wise)in the dim past with my old SB Live! card :o I was hoping for something more reasonable with the AP, like maybe 11 or 17 or so. As you've mentioned, 34ms is fairly high, and for me, it gets in the way of how I record. Midi becomes near impossible to track in the way I want to, and playing along with previously recorded tracks with plain old audio is tough too. Changing my methods of monitoring (discussed earlier, too) hasn't be very pleasing. The most elegant solution is to have lower latency, obviously. Not nonexistant, mind you--just lower; tolerable. I'd like to think that's not too much to ask for...I may be wrong, god knows.

Samplecraze said:
I think it's more important to try to solve your current problem out before diving into a new sound card. Run us through your setup and, more importantly, your sound card setup, including drivers, ASIo etc..

Thanks Samplecraze--we've done that pretty well here the past week or so, and I'm afraid nothing has worked. Here are the threads that apply--they pretty much cover everything that's been tried, and I've done more, of course--
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=124205
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=124500

I really mean it when I say I've done everything I can think of, and all that others have suggested--essentially rebuilt whole parts of my computer, reset a hundred different settings with each new config, kept track of it all as a scientist would, day and night for a week, all to no avail. Except that now I know that the older drivers work best, and that no config works well, or as it should.

Thanks for the E-Mu links

Thanks
Chris

Back