Give your feedback about this Christmas Song!

DKRecords

Hey Everyone,

My friends and I have been rocking out and recording our version of "We Three Kings" for Christmas this year, and I would appreciate any feedback you have about the mix of the song so far. We will soon be getting ready to send it for mastering. The bass track that's in the song now is just a scratch track. Tomorrow I believe we'll be recording the good bass track.

Thanks!!

Performance is really good. Drums obviously programmed. Kick drum has no balls. Bass guitar gets muddy ring around 110Hz. Rhythm guitar is way thin. Solos are uneven in level between parts (not in a good way).

Overall, I would spend some time getting the drums sounding more natural and powerful. The low end is not working at all yet IMO.

Sorry to be a dick, but that is what I hear.

On a positive note, the vocals are sitting right, and sang very well. Though, this may be an issue once the 'balls' are pulled out of the mix.

Overall, I would spend some time getting the drums sounding more natural and powerful. The low end is not working at all yet IMO.

Sorry to be a dick, but that is what I hear.

You're not being a dick, you're reporting. The mix is thin. I like the carol of the bells reference in the guitar solo - that's very clever - but mostly it's for people who listen to MOR rock and Christmas songs. A fairly modest demographic, I'd imagine. If you really love Jesus, write a new song for Him for God's sake.

Must spread rep....

" If you really love Jesus, write a new song for Him for God's sake."

Best spiritual advice ever....

Not bad playing - the drums and bass stand out as 80's MOR.
The tones for the guitars are aenemic - sound like sims too.
You've done fine but to be honest, the arrangement is a little boring.
I think that if you could fix the kick it wouldn't sound so plastic.

Hey Everyone! Thanks so much for taking the time to give feedback. I appreciate your opinions and honesty. After listening to the mix a few more times, I do agree with most of what you're saying. Tonight I worked on the mix a bit more and tried to beef up the kick drum a bit more. I also tried adding some more body to the rhythm guitar and boosted its volume just a bit. I also tried evening out the levels between guitar lead parts. Overall I think the mix is sounding like it has more life to it now with your suggestions. Like I said the bass track is just a scratch track, so that will be tracked again. Thanks again!

I definitely will. I want to do a bit more tweaking and listening, then I'll upload the mix again. Keep an eye out for it.

Hey everyone. Here's my latest mix of the song. We recorded bass tonight, but I'm not liking the way bass is sitting in the song right now. I think it's too loud for one thing. I'm not very good at mixing bass in songs, so I'd be interested in any suggestions you have on how to get it to sit better in the mix. I also tried making some of the changes you suggested in earlier posts. Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Back