Give it on Back, Rock Mix, come listen!

jndietz

The Way It Moves
Hi all. Wanted to post a song I recently recorded for a local act in Omaha, NE called "Crown's Folly". This is one of their "heavier" songs. The band was very pleased with this mix, but would like any input from the BBS. I have been recording for a few years now, but don't really have good gear to show for it. That is expected to change soon. I'll explain how I miked everything.

Band hasn't been playing together for long. The drummer is also in my current band (Funk Trek).

Download song here

Mikes -> PreSonus FirePod FP10 -> Rokit KRK5 (first gen)

Drums
Tama kit/SONOR snare, small, low ceiling basement. I think that the drums turned out very well all things considered. My next investments are mostly microphones. After I get my gear, a new house is next and plans to renovate the basement.

Kick
CAD KBM412 dynamic kick mic

Snare
SM57

Hihat
MXL 991

Toms
Peavey dynamic mics

Overheads
MXL 990, A/B spaced

Guitars
Guitar was a Schecter brand guitar running through an Ibanez Tube Screamer, then into a Peavey Classic 30. Amp was miked with an SM57. The distorted guitars were double tracked, hard panned. I also recorded him playing the song clean and mixed it to taste. The clean guitar was miked close, as well two room mics for an extra bit of air.

Bass
Bass was a standard Fender Jazz Bass run straight into the Firepod. Again, sounds good all things considered.

Vocals
Vocals miked with an MXL 990.

Harmonica
The harp player held an SM57 in his hand, but ran it into the Tube Screamer/Classic 30. Cool effect!

Mix Comments
The drums sounded pretty poor on their own. Lots of EQ on the kick to remove boxiness around the 200Hz and 450Hz area. Boosted around 55Hz. Also used a transient modifier on the kick and snare. Reverb was added to both the snare track and the OH track to give it a bit more air. I thought it sounded a little over kill, the drummer loved it. Bass was rolled off on the lows to let the kick break through. Clean guitar was left untouched with the exception of light compression. Harps were left mostly untouched. Vocals also were compressed and reverbed to taste.

Enjoy!

Give what back?
The bass needs some bottom end.
The snare's a bit prominent for my tastes - or it may be its tone...not sure.
In some parts it sounds a bit busy.
I like the guitars.
The vox are a bit low in the mix & given their rhythmic style I think they need to be a bit louder so they don't get too caught in the business.

I like it overall. I like what you've done with the guitar tracks. I am usually not a fan of double tracking, but you've pulled it off.

What did the transient modifier change? The kick and snare already have transient peaks. Did it lower them, raise them, widen them? (Sorry, for the stupid question. I've never used one.)

I would have gone the opposite way with the kick and bass EQ. I would have given the kick less sub-lows and more mid-range attack. Then I would have fattened up the bass to provide the song with more ass in general. Your way works too. It's just that this song seems like it should be somewhat more bass driven and less kick driven. (Let the song guide the Producer within you.)

I happen to like the snare as is. It works for me in this song.

Keep up the good work.

Love it, great mix... at first i didn't like the snare, too dry, but when the vocals started i didn't notice it anymore. I also like the job on guitars. They sound cool.

Regards.

Hi all, thanks for the comments. I won't get a chance to work on this again until Saturday, so hopefully I'll be uploading another mix at that point for a critique. Thanks again

Yeah the guitars seem a little loud. Vocals sound great through that MXL! I think the mix tuned out damn well... Reall live studio feel from years back.

Back