Girls!! (and recording)

Coming in late, but just adding my agreement to a lot of what has been said above. I have done only a little recording, but in a couple of the songs I have done, I was doing them late and night (and don't usually trust folks to sing the harmonies correctly), so I overdubbed and sang a trio with me, myself, and I. I had the same thing happen that you are describing, and I couldn't do a whole lot to get rid of the effect until I re-recorded the same harmony, but singing differently. It ended up sounding bad because the harmony was, as has been described above, a "happy" one and when I sang it dark it sounded worse. So all that to say, if your singer doesn't want someone else singing her harmonies (and I do understand that feeling) and she is set on the harmonization, she will probably have to fix the problem on her end for the best result.

Of course, I could be all wrong........I am still fairly new to the technical side of recording..... :)

Tell her to work with it, just think what that same effect has done for Stevie Nix (Fleetwood Mac) a lot of her stuff has thet angelic quality but is pretty spooky at the same time. It could be that your singer's voice might be clashing with some of the instruments or maybe just isn't right for certain songs.

Another thing...

Another thing...

As a producer, I often tell the singer doing a backup vox to 'listen' instead of 'sing.' By concentrating on just listening the vocalist is more likely to be additive to the previous tracks.

Sometimes I get sneaky and ease off the level of the backup vox in the cans so the singer hears the main vox a little more than him/herself.

Back