gimme giant hands...

smirky

I've played the bass for some years now, but still have the following problem: I don't have giant hands (so some techniques and fingerings are hell), and my 4th finger (the little) still lacks necessary strength (->fret buzz). that's why I somehow developed my own technique and mainly use fingers 1,2+3.
does anyone of you have the same problem, and how can I make my 4th finger more ... well, powerful?
cu, smirky

I have very short fingers, but they can stretch quite well thanks to years of practice. By playing with just 3 fingers you'll just make the 4th weaker. Practice playing triads like below. Always keep the first finger down on the 2nd note while playing the 3rd note. Fingers are at the bottom.
---------------------------------------------------
---------------------------1-5-1---4-7-4---6-9-6---7-11-7--
---2-5-2---3-7-3---5-9-5-3-------5-------7-------9---------
-3-------5-------7-----------------------------------------
2 1 4 1 2 1 4 1 2 1 4 1 2 1 4 1 2 1 4 1 2 1 4 1 2 1 4 1

Just one of hundreds of excercises that will help
Good luck
Jeff

After practicing, practice some more. Work those octaves and chords. Do some regular runs you know well with your 1-3 fingers and use your 2-4 fingers instead.

Pinkey

Over the years I've had many people that wanted me to teach them how to play Bass. The first thing I tell anyone is USE your little finger all the time. I have little hands also and if it weren't for my little finger I, well couldn't play worth a crap. I see Bass players useing only three fingers all the time and it shows or sounds it. They just can't (Walk the Dog) without that little finger going like hell. LAter,Donny!!!

Back