Gifts for musicians/people who record music at home?

eorentas

My boyfriend is a musician and has been recording music on his laptop using garage band for several years, but he is looking to get into more sophisticated at-home music recording. I'd like to get him something to help him with this goal for Christmas, but I have no idea what may be useful for him. From what I remember, he already has an iRig to record from his guitar to his laptop, a microphone, pretty much every instrument he would want, lots of amps, and guitar pedals. I'm hoping to get him either some kind of accessory to help him set up a home studio, an online class that teaches you how to record music at home, or something like that. If anyone has any ideas that aren't too expensive (around or under $100) please let me know! Thanks for your help!

Get him something to record with other than garage band. Not to come off sounding snobby, but garage band is kind of more of a toy than a quality recording program. The demo version of Reaper is free and you use it as long as you like. Paying is based on the honor system (which we encourage everyone to do).

I'm not familiar with the iRig. If it can connect to a regular mac or PC then it's probably good to continue to use. Otherwise, you might consider looking at a new interface that he can use with a PC/Mac. A simple USB 2-channel interface is most anyone needs if they are a one-man band. Try this LIST.

You could consider some virtual drums. Look at EZDrummer. But I don't think it runs on an iPad. Great sounding drums for not a bad price and might still be on sale.

It's nice you are trying to help him with something he loves to do. Have a great holiday.

Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD | Sweetwater

^Bang on budget and really THE best upgrade he can have. I am not a great fan of Behringer for certain reasons but that AI is great value and I have read several good reports about them.

The Beyer headphones suggested are well over $100 (but V good) The AKG K92s are well under $100 and I am very pleased with mine.

Dave.

Last edited:
Sounds like he has a lot of stuff and I could probably generate a few ideas if you push the budget, but I'll just suggest a $100 gift card at Sweetwater, or some place like that - wherever he gets most of his stuff from.

Back