Gibson LP Studio

spacedyevest83

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/lespaul/Studio.html

Im thinking of buying this guitar cause a good opportunity came up very recently,so what do you think about it? I know its something very personal,and personally i really like it both in looks and feeling and sound (though i played like 2-3 minutes),but i want to have some other views too.The style of music im playing is kinda mixed up,i like bands like a perfect circle,tool,porcupine tree,sigur ros,mono,godspeed you black emperor and more electronic bands that use some guitars like massive attack,portishead,air,archive,piano magic,album leaf etc.

Studios are hit and miss. There are some awesome ones out there, though. I owned one and sold it to Jamal Buchet on this board. He will attest to its awesomeness. Hey, if you already played it and you liked it then you answered your own question. you don't have ti get the approval of the bozos here!!:)

H2H

spacedyevest83 said:
http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/lespaul/Studio.html

Im thinking of buying this guitar cause a good opportunity came up very recently,so what do you think about it? I know its something very personal,and personally i really like it both in looks and feeling and sound (though i played like 2-3 minutes),but i want to have some other views too.The style of music im playing is kinda mixed up,i like bands like a perfect circle,tool,porcupine tree,sigur ros,mono,godspeed you black emperor and more electronic bands that use some guitars like massive attack,portishead,air,archive,piano magic,album leaf etc.

My LP is a studio. It has served me very well.

About the only thing I really did to it was added Sperzel locking tuners and some strap locks.

If you get it professionally set up there really shouldn't be anything to worry about all.

LP Studios are a great value, but recent Gibsons have had alarmingly bad quality issues (not just Studios, but high-end models also). Just be sure to play and inspect a few before buying. The differences between the Studio, Classic and Standard models are mostly electronics, ornamentation and neck profiles.

Studio - 498/490 pickup set and '59 style (chubbier) neck. A little more modern midrange bite to the PAF sound. No binding or similar ornamentation.

Classic - 500/469 pickup set and 60's style neck. These pickups are extremely hot and only reasonably useful for metal styles. A lot of people buy the Classic and put in a good PAF-type set of pickups. Greenish style inlays and skinny neck are turnoff to some.

Standard - Burstbucker pickups and a choice of neck styles. Obviously, these are at the top of the range.

I happen to like the 498/490 pickups - particularly with 500K pots. A nice growl and chunk can be had with these.

You might also consider getting a used Standard for slightly more money than a new Studio.....

I like mine a lot ... mine seem to be one of the "hit" models, I even got a 1-piece-mahogany-body, so no glue inbetween!!!!

(y might get a lot of flak here, but i play about 10 times more on the LP-S than on my Gretsch Roc-Jet :-)

I like the gritty but not piercing sound of the pups as well as their "heavyness" - they are really meant to scream r&r through a tube amp...

You might consider getting a used studio, as afaik they deliberately drove down the qual. of the studio in the mid 90ies as it was selling too well in comparison with the standard.

best of luck
alfred

I just bought a LP Studio all Mahogony

Didn't get it yet, but I will post a review when I get it.. I should have it tonight or tomorrow. It is coming with the EMG-ZW set already installed..

spacedyevest83 said:
Im thinking of buying this guitar cause a good opportunity came up very recently,so what do you think about it?

I purchased a used 1992 Les Paul Studio last year, and it was one of the best music-related purchases I have EVER made. The guy I bought it from had three (3) Les Pauls for sale and I played them all; the Studio, a new Custom, and another even more expensive one (sorry, can't remember the exact model). I played each of them for about 10 minutes. Long story short: from the first few moments, I knew that the Studio was the guitar for me. It felt more like a substantial guitar, beefier and more solid than the others, which both had thinner necks and all the rest of the bells and whistles that the Studio doesn't have. And the tone ...to die for!! "This" Studio was THE guitar for me. The others were nice, but they just didn't have the right feel for me.

My Studio is basically exactly like the re-issue Studios that American Musical Supply is selling now: Gibson Studio (link)

The only alterations I have made is a set of the Sperzel locking tuners with a D-Thing on the low-E string for drop tunnings. This beast sounds better than ever and rarely goes out of tune. It has become my go-to guitar for both live and studio use.

Hope this helps!

-mr moon

Back