Gibson Bridge Question?

jvasey

I just bought a Jr. Double Cutaway Historic, with wrap-around bridge. Because the saddle edges are blank, strings can slide side to side on the bridge. So if you bend alot or pick hard, it goes out of tune almost immediately. I seem to recall having the same problem on my LP Studio when I bought it.

So does anyone file/cut grooves into the bridge of a new Gibson? Up until now I've let the strings make the groove, but it's a pain in the ass constantly retuning for the first 50-100 hours of playing time.

Jeff

use a 3 corner file to notch it

Hi Jeff
Normally,as you say,the string wear cuts its own notch.Just help it get started a little with a 3 corner file.I had a Jr in college,early 60s model with P90 "soapbar" pickups.In those days a bar bridge was stock,not the tunamatic style.Is that what you mean by wraparound?Be sure and recheck your intonation every time you mess with your bridge.The exact file point will change it.
regards
Tom

Try using a jewler's saw. I play guitars with Bigsby tail pieces and the matching replacement bridges come with out string grooves. I use a jewler's saw to cut very small grooves into the metal. They cost $10 or so at most any craft/hobby store. The tree corner file mentioned above does well to smooth the edges of the grovve thats cut into the bridge.

Back