getting vocals to fit, first home recording

It's kind of a short clip, so I'll just respond to your specific question.

The guitar is a bit too loud so I'd turn it down a little - like 2db or so. If that doesn't do enough to help, then I'd notch out something around 5kHz in the guitar.

For the time being at least, I'd get rid of the reverb/delay on the vocal. Keep it dry and see how it sounds.

It's kind of a short clip, so I'll just respond to your specific question.

The guitar is a bit too loud so I'd turn it down a little - like 2db or so. If that doesn't do enough to help, then I'd notch out something around 5kHz in the guitar.

For the time being at least, I'd get rid of the reverb/delay on the vocal. Keep it dry and see how it sounds.

Yep
guitar too loud, lose some reverb , and compress the vocal through a 76 compressor, slow attack and fast release

you need to bring the vocal forward in the mix using compression, and use EQ to carve out the masking frequencies on the guitars, they feel like they are in front of the vocal in the mix

The vocal is just too quiet but it will most likely also need compression.

Yep
guitar too loud, lose some reverb , and compress the vocal through a 76 compressor, slow attack and fast release

Yes, and have his butler shine his golden shoes too! ;)

I don't think that a lot of people here have an 1176 or even a good emulation.

What's already been said ... the reverb makes it sound like you were doing the track 'live' - it's not in the same space as the guitar, which as already mentioned completely dominates the clip.

Back