getting tired of looking

CaliSurfer

I have been researching and researching microphones, but i still haven't found the right one. I want a really smooth sounding microphone that has good lows in it. I do acoustic/r&b and I'm just wondering if anyone knows of one that would be good for me. It seems like every microphone is really harsh. My price range is around $300.

I've heard great things about both the Oktava MK 319 and the Blue Baby Bottle (though that one is $400 new).

I'm sure others here will come along and give you even better suggestions though :)

Take a look at ribbons mics.

I have pretty decent microphone experience but I only got my first ribbon a few weeks back.
It's an old reslo but it does exactly what you're describing.

Mk219/mk319 is the next choice for my voice, followed by sm7b.

Ribbons are great for those lows. If you really want good lows go for a good ribbon.
Lots of R&B artist prefer the sm7b too (but i've never owned one) so someone else may be able to better advise you on that.

Just posting to add another vote for Oktava 319/219, a decent ribbon mic or a quality large diaphragm dynamic. These guys are steering you in the right direction. Not much else in condenser land besides the Oktava is "smooth" at this pricepoint.

Try an AKG C4000B, It does not suit everyone but It sounds great on my voice and I have lots of lows. I also used it to record a baritone and it worked well on him too.

A bonus is that it also sounds fantastic on acoustic guitars and bass cabs.

Alan.

Back