Getting the music to CD from reel to reel.

Mr Fruit

Just finished our first 10 tracks and want to get them to CD.
What are people doing?

I have a basic soundcard, with phono inputs, the audiophile 2490 i think, but im reluctant to use it because i dont really like using computers, and im worried about losing all the analogue loveliness through computer ineptitude.

What are the other options, on a budget, as always.....:rolleyes:

Thanks in advance chaps.:)

Also,Here's some pics for your amusent. Everyone likes pics dont they.
l_d19b723490f94eaaa92fc3aed8c34ec7.jpg

l_9e433e8bdf334be5990b85736033054b.jpg

l_5188408be2a343baacb2de1e5cee8bd5.jpg

l_201701aa0b17408fb45b8a4221856790.jpg

Personally, I mix to tape and then digitize it using a regular computer. My soundcard setup is a bit weird though, I use an external converter (actually a modded Edirol UA5) and a fibre-optic link to the computer - if I use a normal USB connection I get bus noise in the recording.

Mixing to tape first gives me more leeway if the computer decides to drop out during recording, which it can often do. I usually do draft mixes directly to the computer though, and do the final one on tape.

Alternatively, you could spring for a dedicated digital recorder that can spit out the files on an SD card or CD-rom, but it's likely to cost a bit.

Send from your mixer to a double cassette deck. Get it on the first cassette then EQ the mix from an external eq unit then record on the final cassette.
Or you can buy a CD burner.

Depending on your finances you have a few options.

1. Mix through a USB interface. This will keep your tracks lively and get you into the computer for cheap. Though you end up summing your tracks digitally.

2. Mix to a 1/2 track then use option one after that. Analog summing and a hard copy mix, plus a digital file for CD.

3. A mix between the two. I heard one guy on here (I forget who) that said while he mixes to his 1/2 track he plays back off the repro head to the computer. Saves a step and gets the same effect.

4. You could also go with a unit like the Alesis Masterlink. They're spendy but I hear good things about them. You would use this in place of a USB interface as it has it's own A/D converters.

If that audiophile 2490 you mentioned is actually an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 then you have way better than a "stock-basic" soundcard in there already.

If it is the M-Audio card, I would mixdown into the computer, IMO stereo cassettes for mixdown would be a step backward in sound quality from your 8 track reel to reel, that looks like a Fostex 1/4" 8 track machine, and a Fostex mixing board too if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, everybody likes pictures!!

:)

The question comes up now and then. I still recommend a stand-alone CD recorder to get things into the digital realm. I consider the HHB CDR-850 and Fostex CR300 as the best CD recorders ever made for this purpose. They are actually the same decks on the inside, made by Pioneer and based on the Pioneer PDR-555RW. The later is a great CD recorder as well, but you have to use music CDs and you can’t disable copy protection like you can on the aforementioned pro models.

I master to ¼” half-track analog reel-to-reel and then transfer the final mix to an HHB CDR-850.

That being said, the M-Audio 2496 is no slouch, if that’s what you have. The important thing when going from analog to digital is to record at the bit depth and resolution of the end-medium. If that’s going to be CD than record at 16/44.1. There’s no advantage to recording at a higher rate and then down-converting, unless you plan to do some digital tweaking of the mix ITB. And of course I don’t recommend screwing around too much with it ITB if you want to maintain the benefits of analog.

If that audiophile 2490 you mentioned is actually an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 then you have way better than a "stock-basic" soundcard in there already.

If it is the M-Audio card, I would mixdown into the computer, IMO stereo cassettes for mixdown would be a step backward in sound quality from your 8 track reel to reel, that looks like a Fostex 1/4" 8 track machine, and a Fostex mixing board too if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, everybody likes pictures!!

Yes, it is the M-audio one you mentioned.

your right on the reel to reel, its a fostex R8 and a fostex mixer.

So- you think its better to get the m audio up and running than try to get another piece of kit- IE a dedicated cd burner.....my friend had one that you just plugged phono leads into, set a level, then pressed record...dead simple, it looked like a normal hi fi seperate, but im not sure what make it was.

The question comes up now and then. I still recommend a stand-alone CD recorder to get things into the digital realm. I consider the HHB CDR-850 and Fostex CR300 as the best CD recorders ever made for this purpose. They are actually the same decks on the inside, made by Pioneer and based on the Pioneer PDR-555RW. The later is a great CD recorder as well, but you have to use music CDs and you can’t disable copy protection like you can on the aforementioned pro models.

I master to ¼” half-track analog reel-to-reel and then transfer the final mix to an HHB CDR-850.

That being said, the M-Audio 2496 is no slouch, if that’s what you have. The important thing when going from analog to digital is to record at the bit depth and resolution of the end-medium. If that’s going to be CD than record at 16/44.1. There’s no advantage to recording at a higher rate and then down-converting, unless you plan to do some digital tweaking of the mix ITB. And of course I don’t recommend screwing around too much with it ITB if you want to maintain the benefits of analog.

thanks for the advice....ill research those names, and see what kind of availability and prices there are.:)

Check these links for more info. The HHB CDR-850 is still the preferred stand-alone burner of The Record Plant. They have two that I know of… one in the mobile truck and the other in the studio. I see them on eBay now and then, but you know how prices can vary on eBay. I see them go for $225.00 to over $325.00. IMO a wise investment at those prices. I’m a diehard analog guy, but I love this particular HHB model. It sounds great as a player as well.

http://www.hhb.co.uk/hhb/global/press_word_docs/120400B.DOC

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may99/articles/hhb.htm

http://www.lnlrecording.com/HHBCDR850.htm

That looks nice. None on ebay at the moment though and they may, in truth be slightly out of my price range, for the time being, ive just blown £100 on phono leads....:D

Ill keep my eyes open for a bargain.

Back