getting the most out of my soundcraft ghost...help :]

dix0r

hey, how's it going guys? i have too many questions, so i'll try to separate everything to make it easier to read...

first of all, i've got a 24 channel soundcraft ghost (without automation) that i'm basically just using for its pres, and some very minimal EQ...everything else is being done in the box. i realize though that i'm not even coming close to using the board to the extent of its capabilities, and i'd like to change that, so i don't feel like i wasted my money ;]

so, basically, i'd just like to know what the best way for me to setup everything is. i've got:

soundcraft ghost
RME multiface (8 channels)
n-track/DAW

right now i'm just running the mics into the board, out the direct sends and into the multiface. i'm reading right now in the manual that the direct sends are unbalanced, where the group outs are balanced.

so, how do i send each channel to a group and where do i hook my snake up to send these groups to my multiface? is there any reason not to do this? where would i connect the multiface outs back into the board? each channels tape return jack?

since i've been monitoring from the multiface, and i think that will have to change - would i connect my monitors to the "mix o/p" left and right outputs?

It's been a while since I was on the Ghost, but yeah, you need either the control room or mix outs. I think there's an A&B also...

On the RME, if you want to use groups instead of direct, it's all in the routing switches and the pan knobs.

If you hit the 1/2 button and pan all the way to the left, it's buss 1. To the right, buss 2. Same with 3/4, 5/6 & 7/8. Left is odd, right is even. You can run the buss outs (I can't remember what they're called, but there's 8 of them on the back of the console near the master section - Probably called "GROUP") to your card.

That is a pretty flexible way to do things - You can route any channel to any buss at any time, and the Ghost's crosstalk is quite low.

You can also hook your RME's monitoring outputs to one of the 2-track inputs on the Ghost... Think of it as "Confidence Monitoring" so you can hear what the RME is hearing FROM the RME.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the direct outs being unbalanced. Are you picking up any RF interference. If not, don't worry about being unbalanced. By routing through the groups, you are going through an extra amplifier stage before you get to "tape". However, the added flexibility of being able to route through the groups may be handy. My recommendation would be to route through the groups if you need the conveniece, otherwise just use the direct outs. Honestly, I don't think you will notice much difference one way or the other.

One of the cool things on using the groups is that you can take that giant drum kit with 12 toms on it, give each mic its own channel, then mix all the toms to a stereo group. Of course, once it's recorded, it's recorded and you can't change anything. But if done carefully, it can come in handy to save inputs.

Back