Getting the Clicks heard!

goldfish

Ok, this is a sorta technique question, but also a Cakewalk question.

Right so my method of recording the simpler songs in my bands repretior is to get the tempo, and have the drummer (maybe bassist too) do a backing track to a click, and then build on that.

Anyway.. my problem is that the clicks arnt loud enough for the drummer. Hes listening on HD-25s (Sennheiser) using the cross stick sound on the drum patch on Cakewalk (thats Db3 by the way ;) ) But when he starts drumming the click gets lost in the sound. Yep, these are the professional HD-25s, which come with a health warning.. maxed out. This in itself is surprising to say the least. The drummer has his own volume dial so he can adjust as he wants.

How on EARTH can I make a better click in Cakewalk that is going to be more audible over the drums. And is there anyway to sorta block out the drums more through the headphones? :p Hes using an Aux bus to listen to the clicks by the way, which is turned up to 100% pre fader.

One thing we might try is getting those ear plugs that you can put in ear headphones into so it blocks out as much sound as possible but not blocking out the click at all.

Has anyone got any other ideas!? :S

I asked this question in a similar post. Someone suggested isolation headphones. Too expensive for me, but I am going to save up. It's hard enough to get a drummer to listen, especially when he's deaf. I don't remember the brand of phones but if you search for headphones posts you might find it.

These headphones ARE Isolation headphones. They're used for live use for PFLing mics when youre standing right next to a PA.

And yes, this drummer is also deaf in one ear... *sigh*

Maybe you can try a different sound for the click. Cowbell. Tamborene. Sometimes the different frequencies in other percussion instruments will cut through better than a side stick.

Or turn up the volume. :)

Try recording your click to a track and then making it loud as hell over the drums in the mix. That's what I do in Pro Tools. Another advantage is you can edit the click. Sorry if this doesn't help

Well.. he isnt listening to any other tracks other than the click, and also I can set it up to change tempo etc. in time to the music with markers.

I might try looking for another sound thats more piercing but at the time i couldnt remember the notes for the different sounds on the drum patch at the time other than cross stick.

thanks for the advice :)

if he's having a problem hearing the drums thru the headphones; you really should mute those channels. if the problem is hearing his own drumming through the headphones then you need to use a different type of click track. or he needs to drum quieter.

Every try a beep track? It takes a bit to get used to, but it's very easy to hear a beep over snare, and cymbols. like "BEEP boop boop boop BEEP boop boop boop..." You know?

PushtoVent said:
Every try a beep track? It takes a bit to get used to, but it's very easy to hear a beep over snare, and cymbols. like "BEEP boop boop boop BEEP boop boop boop..." You know?
This is what works best for our drummer. I set the note to a G5 or something piercing like that and he can hear it fine.

lysis said:
if he's having a problem hearing the drums thru the headphones; you really should mute those channels. if the problem is hearing his own drumming through the headphones then you need to use a different type of click track. or he needs to drum quieter.

He doesnt hear the drum mix through his headphones! The Aux mix he listens to doesnt include drums at all, just the computer out and my slate-mic on the desk.

But anyway... Hmm, beep is an idea. How could I set that up on Cakewalk? G 5 could work, but i think it might be too near cymabals/hihat.

Back