Getting that DI to sound reasonable...?

Your clean recording clip sounds good.

The dirty clip is definitely tainted with some input distortion, although it is impossible to say from the clip at which input stage the distortion is occuring.

It is a very subtle kind of distortion, an untrained ear may not even be able to hear it when it is pointed out. But I have heard it so many times in my own work that I recognize it immediately. If you listen really close you will hear a sort of high frequency buzzing sound, not very loud, it almost sounds like it is suppsoed to be part of the distorted guitar sound, but it really doesn't belong. I describe it sometimes as a kind of "wax paper kazoo" buzzing sound.

If I hear this sound in my guitar amp straight from the speaker, it is almost always because I have an excessive "Presence" boost. A lot of amps have a "Presence" control, that will do it every time if you turn itup too much.

If I do not hear it from the amp, but I hear it on the monitors or in the recording, then it is usually the mic/channel input trim set too hot. I've noticed the inputs will distort sooner (with fewer red lights onthe meter) if myu guitar signal is too hot for the channel pre.

After I learned to use a lot less Presence boost on the amp, and to use a lot less trim gain on the channel pre (or the sound card or whatever the next stage is...) THEN I started to get super clean dirty guitar sounds with no more "wax paper" in the playback. Get it clean going in, then boost the volume on it later AFTER it gets recorded.

Eq is probably the best way to get a good, distorted sound from a direct recording. I've gotten some decent ones, using some eq on the PC, but mainly in the POD settings. I have a terrible amp, so some really driven sounds, are just poor. I try and mix direct with the mic'd version to come up with something that sounds reasonable. Experimentation is a must. You just have to keep after it.
Ed

Back