Getting Started

thehodgmeister

So, just got my computer sorted. I have a Pre sonus Audiobox Usb interface and a Studio Projects B1 Condenser mic into Reaper.
I want to be able to record guitar and vocals then maybe use a VST to put down some drums, only basic stuff really!

What vst's are people using and what would be a good start as I know what I want to do but not sure where to start with all this as I dont want to download a load of trash onto my computer?

Help!!

If you've got Reaper, an interface, and a mic, you're actually in a pretty good place to start.
Generally, you'll want to get your sources sounding the best they can before you start messing with VSTs and FX on them. I'd say...
1. Record with what you've got and try to get the best sound you can before doing any in-box processing.
2. When you need drums, EZ Drummer works. There are other options, but EZ drummer is the only VSTi I've tried so far.
3. Futz with the effects and plugins that come with Reaper and then seek out specific solutions to individual problems as you run into them.

As I am new to all this can anyone recommend a good set of low cost monitors?

Also I want to get a free/low cost drum vst and possibly one for guitar?

Thanks in advance!

For monitors - what is your budget? Figure on a minimum of $400 for new decent ones, but you may be able to find a used set and save some money.

Drum/guitar VSTis - you get what you pay for. Anything free is likely to sound like crap or be unwieldy in application.

For getting started, check out the free Komplete players from Native Instruments. They're basically demo versions of their Guitar Rig, Kontakt, and Reaktor VSTi plugs. There's enough there to at least get your feet wet, and from there you can figure out what you need. There's drum samples, guitar effects, synths, world instruments...it's fun to play with, especially for free.

Komplete : Bundles : Komplete Players | Products

Back