Getting Started w/ MIDI

xalien

Hey,

I've been recording for a while now, but so far all with Analog instruments (like guitars). I'd like to start messing around with Digital. I'm not a keyboard player, and I don't have a lot of space, so I don't think I want a big keyboard. I've been thinking about getting a MIDIMAN Oxygen8 MIDI controller (which would fit into my studio set up well). The question is then what to hook it up to? What should I use to get it to make sounds? The MIDI sounds in my PC sound card are a joke (they are REALLY bad). I've been looking at rack mounted synth modules, but I don't know what's good, and they seem pretty pricey. Any suggestions on a good starter module?

The other question would be if there was software that I could use to take a MIDI signal and generate a tone. I'm sure such software exists. What do people suggest?

Help!

Thanks.

First, you plug it into th "joystick/MIDI" port in your soundcard, there are special cables to do so, and then...

there are two choices:

You can buy a Soundblaster Live Soundcard and use soundfonts which is a cheap way to get relatively good quality sounds (plus you can create your own sounds). I've found really great acoustic basses and drumkits soundfonts.

Or you can go the "softsynth" way, which is getting sound synths to reproduce the signal you feed via MIDI. Some of these soft synths can even play soundfonts or other samples.

Hi Flapo,

Thanks for the note. OK, so replacing my soundcard with another soundcard with better MIDI capability is one way to go. I'll look into that.

Does anyone have suggestions for good "softsynth" software?

-Steve

I've tried demos of some of Native Instruments' soft synths and they sound GREAT but I don't plan on buying one of those since only one of them can eat up to 150% of my resources. They are extremely CPU hungry (I have a AMD K62 400 mhz) :(

Some of the software samplers are GigaSampler and Halion. But since I have a SB Live I don't really need them, but I've heard they are fine.

Back