getting started (recording using computer)

666kennedy

Hey im really sorry if this has been answered a million times but there are a few things i want to know about setting up recording facilities. i have recorded at a studio before so i kinda know my stuff. i just know i wont be able to afford the huge mixing desk or any of the fancy gadgets.

what i have:

reasonably powerful computer.
instruments
not very much money!
decent 5.1 surround sound speakers

from my time in the studio i know i need recording software (protools or equiv)
but to record onto my computer i will need some sort of input or conditioning equipment (for mics, intruments) as i assume they cant just be plugged in.

all this is assumed so tell me if im wrong.

basically im asking what do i need to get the noise from the instruments onto the computer, and once its there what will i need to get it on cd, does the software do all the final mixing and put it all onto one complete track?

thanks for any help and im sorry if this is either too vague or doesnt make sense!

even I know this one and I'm brand new...

tweakheadz.com (sorry don't know how to do the link thing)

look under "21 ideas for home studio rigs"...good stuff

As well as the software (Cubase? Sonar? Protools?), you'll need some microphones and a good audio interface or soundcard with mic preamps. I'm also afraid to say that (if its like most other consumer surround sound system) you might find the 5.1 system isn't the best thing for mixing on - you'll probably also want to invest a pair of monitors.

On top of the equipment, you'll also need to find a good place to record and mix in, as this can affect the sound just as much as the gear you use.

And then you'll also need the experience - don't underestimate how difficult getting a good sound is. I posted a thread recently with clips of mixes I did a few months ago compared with ones I'm doing now, and the difference just from that bit of practice is huge. And yes, the software will mixdown the tracks for you, but its up to you to make that mix good!

Check out the Tweak's guide - its good stuff!
Enjoy :)

cheers, i the info will surely help.

however what equipment specifically will i need, like mixing desk, and what input, im pretty sure my comp has pretty good sound card, but isnt there some usb - mic/lead box for putting direct injection and mics into?

anyway thanks for the info

cheers, i the info will surely help.

however what equipment specifically will i need, like mixing desk, and what input, im pretty sure my comp has pretty good sound card, but isnt there some usb - mic/lead box for putting direct injection and mics into?

anyway thanks for the info

It may be a good sound cardfor gaming and DVD's, but unless it has decent preamps, multiple inputs or things like HighZ inputs, its probably not very good for recording

thanks, i think im beginning to understand what im needing, can any one suggest actual equipment, like thats not too expensive,

basically i need
new soundcard, (please recommend one)
software
mixer
monitors (but my speakers will probs do for now)

does the soundcard have the neccesarry inputs for direct injection and mics or is there a seperate gadget i need for that?

You can normally get a package with a lot of the stuff included. Im guessing your a beginner so want something cheap to learn on and get to grips with.

http://www.luc.edu/digitalmedialab/images/Alesis_Multimix_USB1.jpg

That is an example of a USB mixer. It can accept microphones and line ins, and most normally have a DI input for things like basses and guitars.
These normally come with some free software, such as cubase, logic or protools. These are normally cut down versions of the software, but will be fine for you to start off with.

I would check out:

Alesis Multimix
Lexicon Omega or Lambda
Presonus Audiobox

I like the Lexicon ones because they come with cubase (which is what I prefer) but which software you use is personal choice. Its all dependant on how much cash you want to spend, and what quality of recordings you are going for.

In terms of monitors, 5.1 surround will be nearly useless for mixing. It might be good for checking the mix once you have finished, but if your serious about learning to mix, invest in some monitors.
If you have money left over, maybe buy some acoustic treatment for the room. A lot of people will tell you to do this first, but if your learning and on a small budget I would say its secondary.

thank you soo much!

so if a can get a package deal for a mixer that would do me for starting at least. can u give me a link to the lexicon one in a package? does this require a new soundcard for this to work or will it work fine as it is?

i know im a complete noob, but why are monitors different to like computer speakers, are they not just speakers, or is there software or other stuff involved in them. ( oh dear i feel so embarrased asking about this )

thank you so so so much

Most all of the recording programs have a mixer in them. Many of the audio interfaces have mixers in them. So, you may not need a separate hardware mixer, at all. 'Course if you work better with a mixer, or you just like having hardware sliders instead of software "virtual" sliders, then get a hardware mixer. But, you might be able to get by without one. I used to have one, but sold it once I learned that I don't need it. YMMV

Back