Getting rid of stick clicks

tmcbrinn

Need help! I am trying to get rif of some stick clicks which occur between a transition from one part of a song to another. They were left in the recording by mistake. The clicks are on a stereo track containing all the instruments of the song bounced together, and were picked up by most of the drum mics. There is the crash cymbal just before the clicks enter, but the crash is sustains too long into the click to just erase that particular part. Then there is nothing but clicks for a few seconds, followed by 2 guitars (L & R). The clicks were originally intended just to help keep time, and only last a few seconds. Hopefully I am making myself clear on the problem. The tracks are currently on A Roland VS1680, and I have the effects cars (which has lots of effects with it). I haven't found anything I can use on there yet. I have tried running a side chain compresser/eq, but that didn't work. If there is some type of prossesser which would allow me to isolate the freq. then knock it out, then that should work, but I don't know if there is such a thing. I also have access to a bunch of other equipment, but I just need to know if this can be done and what I would need. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,
Tom

Hey Tom. As far as your bounced stereo mix, I think your screwed. My best suggestion to is is to eliminate the problem at the source. If you stll have the original tracks, I would try to re-record the part in question by punching in. Another suggestion to pass on for future projects is to create a click track. This will eliminate the need to have the drummer produce un-needed sounds to keep the beat. Hope this helps.

Joe

Vote Yes for Stick Clicks

If you ask me, I say reconsider taking them out...in other words...consider keeping them in! Stuff like that adds character to a song, it shows the world you're actually human instead of some clean cut, perfectionist band. Don't take this the wrong way...I just think little "mishaps" or other non-music stuff in songs is cool. It adds life to a song. A lot of groups have stick clicks in their songs too...one that comes to mind is Sonic Youth, they have a lot of that in a lot of songs. Just my $0.02

If that's the case, then my songs are *loaded* with character and humanity. :D

I agree with El Barto, and not just because of the above. Stop airbrushing out the moles and imperfections. The girl looks great as is.

At the beginning of an ELP song called The Sherrif, you can hear Carl Palmer fumble just a hair then he says SHIT.

i agree , definetly go with it... if it still does sound odd try and hide it with something a bit more fitting. ie. loud symbal crashes... but definetly does add character to a song .. especially considering a lot of people wont evn notice!!

Back