Getting rid of noise

silly question, but is it a real strat ?

just want to make sure we are dealing with a fender and not a chinese special $99 walmart strat before we get into it.

i've used the boss, its alright. lower the pickup possibly.

also, what kind of amp, and are you using any other pedals prior to the input or in the effects loop, ,etc, the more info the better, as you may be having a problem that you can defeat without spending money.

TragikRemix said:
silly question, but is it a real strat ?

just want to make sure we are dealing with a fender and not a chinese special $99 walmart strat before we get into it.

i've used the boss, its alright. lower the pickup possibly.

also, what kind of amp, and are you using any other pedals prior to the input or in the effects loop, ,etc, the more info the better, as you may be having a problem that you can defeat without spending money.

The chain is Fender Mexican Stratocaster -> Dunlop Crybaby -> Boss OD-3 -> Electroharmonix wiggler -> Danelectro Fab Echo -> Fender Frontman 25 watt amp.

I should have said it is mainly the neck pickup that buzzes. I have tried lowering it, it helped a bit, but the buzz is still obvious.

dudelysses said:
I need to get some sort of noise suppressor for my strat; the neck pickup hums a lot. Just wondering what would be the best for $200 or less.
I am trying to decide between the Boss NS-2, the MXR Smart Gate and the Electro-harmonix Hum Debugger. Any opinions on these pedals? Any other recommendations?

You realize, of course, that noise gate type devices will only cut the hum when you are not playing (by cutting the signal completely off); they won't separate the hum from your sound while you are playing.

dudelysses said:
I need to get some sort of noise suppressor for my strat; the neck pickup hums a lot. Just wondering what would be the best for $200 or less.
I am trying to decide between the Boss NS-2, the MXR Smart Gate and the Electro-harmonix Hum Debugger. Any opinions on these pedals? Any other recommendations?

I would advise you to STOP playing. Play bass, it sounds so much better, has more balls, chicks love it, you will live a happier, fuller life because you made the switch. :cool:

there are so many factors that go into noise....have you tried it without the dano pedal in there? (my experiance with them has been they are noisy), you sheilding in the guitar, the cords you use, the ground on the amp, and type of lighting where you are playing.

The first thing I'd do is shield the cavity. If that doesn't help, then start trying other things. Get copper foil tape (the heavy stuff they sell in the garden section of a home improvement store to keep slugs away) and make sure you shield all the way up to the wires with no gaps, and make sure you shield all the way up to the top of the cavity and lap over the edge a little so that it will be electrically connected to the backing on the back of the pick guard (which should be grounded).

noiseless pickups can help (no experience here, but that is what they are supposed to do, and they are on my list of some-day upgrades to my strat).

Shielding is supposed to help, hum from single coils is to be expected though. It is usually folded into the tone when you are playing, so a gate can help when you aren't playing.

Daav.

shielding is a good idea.

if you wanna be ghetto, wrap all of the wires in electric tape and hope that helps too.

TragikRemix said:
wrap all of the wires in electric tape and hope that helps too.

WTF?

I read something that if you paint your guitar yellow and wear an orange shirt, you won;'t notice the buzz as much because those colors attract bees.

TelePaul said:
I think [the ISP Decimator] is just a gate like the NS 2.

Apparently not. If you go to their website you'll see a description of what they are doing, which is ostensibly dynamic filtering of noise from the signal flow. The NS 2 just shuts off the signal when it falls below a set threshold.

ggunn said:
Apparently not. If you go to their website you'll see a description of what they are doing, which is ostensibly dynamic filtering of noise from the signal flow. The NS 2 just shuts off the signal when it falls below a set threshold.
Oh right must have a gander, so a review in a guitar mag which compared the two...all it said was that the isp affected tone less, but that'd be cool if they could notch some of the buzz.

Back