Getting rid of buzzing noise in acoustic guitar?

wyne

so i have finally gotten around to record a track, after endless tries on my acoustic guitar my fingers start to hurt and of cause it sometimes causes abit of buzzing noise or tweaking noise in the recorded track.
So , im here to ask is there any possible ways to get rid of it? im currently using the presonus studio one 2. Any plugins or ways to remove the tweaking and noises is HIGHLYYYY appreciated, THANKS in advance! excuse my english.

I assume u mean string noises? removing these post processing is some work and might be doable but result might not be optimal.

I would suggest moving the mic position away from the finger board and more towards the sound hole, if that does;t help move the mic position back away from the guitar.

I usually like some string sound, but not a ton, so I have a few mics positioned sound hole, 12th fret, and a stereo pair set back.

Try several mic positions until you capture less.

yeah its string noises where its buzzing here and there, im using plug-in to record my acoustic guitar though, im finding is there any ways of mastering it into a clean sound ?

Either play it better...or edit the buzz out in the DAW, but that's best done manually, per note/buzz.

Best acoustic sound is always going to be miking the guitar, not using the built-in pickup. If 'buzzing' is caused by poor playing, do another take. If its fret buzz, have guitar adjusted/set-up to reduce the buzz.

after endless tries on my acoustic guitar my fingers start to hurt and of cause it sometimes causes abit of buzzing noise or tweaking noise in the recorded track...

Welcome to the wonderful world of Home Recording.

If your fingers are getting sore from playing, then there are a couple things to consider

First, perhaps you need to practice more to strengthen and toughen up your fingers. Run through some warm up drills on a regular basis (daily) to train your fingers to land on the strings properly, and to build up your strength. You should be landing right behind the fret. If you land too far back from the fret then you have to push too hard to get a good tone, and you might be subjecting yourself to excessing fret noise from not pushing hard enough on a bad finger placement.

Second, maybe your guitar needs a tune up. Check your string gaps off the frets and run through some checks at recommended positions for abnormal buzzing which may help indicate if your fretboard is set properly. There's lots of youtubes and how-to's that discuss fret buzz. Maybe your bridge and nut heights are out? Maybe your truss rod needs an adjustment? There's a million combinations of things that can affect the amount of buzz coming out of your guitar. It's not a trivial thing. If you are not comfortable figuring these things out and fixing it yourself, then find a luthier in your area to run your guitar through a setup.

If these checks all work out, try a new set of strings. Try different gauges too...especially if you are using alternate tunings on your guitar. Alternate mic locations may help but you gotta know your guitar is in good shape and you are playing it well before you try to record the sound coming out of it.

Finally, Don't expect a machine to fix everything for you. There is something to be said about having a well tuned instrument, and playing it well. Avoid trying to get all those fancy presets in Studio 1 to fix the bad sound for you. Garbage in = Garbage out.

yeah im finding how to edit it out is the problem :X

Quit trying to fix it in the DAW. An acoustic guitar recording should not require that much work. Fix it at the source (the mic position, the guitar, or the player)

well its not me being my guitar skills problem, its just that i played too much constantly preparing for this cover so i had strain my fingers too much, but since i have read all of these ill guess ill just re-record it since my finger feels better now , thx :D

Wash your hands before playing and don't press down too hard on your strings. Give as much pressure as required. Too much pressure hurts you and can create buzzes.

String sliding noise always sounds worse through a DI'd guitar as opposed to one that is Mic'd up.

If you're using a lot of compression, turn it down. The compressor will bring up the low level noise if abused; string buzz, fret and pick sounds, breathing, shuffling, foot stomping, etc.

But yeah, retrack if you can. Editing will just make it sound bad.

Quit trying to fix it in the DAW. An acoustic guitar recording should not require that much work. Fix it at the source (the mic position, the guitar, or the player)

You are right. Despite the title, it is not really acoustic. He seems to be DI pickup from an acoustic, so his pick up is catching all the sound including the string issues.

Not really a way to fix it from the pick up end, they do sell finger or fret ease, a spray that supposedly reduces the string noise. If u are actually looking for an outside remedy. But as stated, when I was playing everyday, never had a problem playing long hours once strength and skin built up. Not saying never had fatigue, but never found it to be a limiting factor for tracking. However not a session player under demands of a producer with his eye on hundreds of takes either.

So really, if guitar maintenance, building up endurance and skin, and maybe trying the spray, definitely a microphone or two would be the solution and it would make the title of acoustic guitar tracking accurate. For me, acoustic DI is acquired if possible, but only as a potential blending track with the main acoustic mic tracks, but unlikely used and certainly not mixing an amp for acoustic. Unless with a band and bleed is a big big issue. But I think the recommendations here cover the possibilities pretty well. Get a mic setup of sure if your serious about acoustic guitar for anything serious enough where the string noise is going to be a deal breaker.

Best of luck and play on!!

Back