Getting past a two-chord roadblock

libertad

So, I wrote what I feel is a very catchy, 2-chord section of a song. It could be either a verse or a chorus, not sure yet. But I wrote it MONTHS ago. It consists of 2 minor chords (Em and C#m). The roadblock I'm hitting now is that I'm SO used to this after several months, that any chord change I try to throw in to change up the song simply doesn't sound correct. Sure, I know some songs exist on only 2 chords, but I feel it might be too monotonous. Any suggestions on something to try?

Agreed. You can keep the same two chords going throughout the song and change melody and arrangement for verse and chorus.

Or... have you tried A, D, Bm. They will be in the same key as the C#m and the Em would be the odd-ball becaue the E *should* be a major chord., but it works. Of course, a lot depends on how you're playing the song, too. Without hearing what you got, we can only speculate.

Without hearing what you got, we can only speculate.

Right.

Two chords can work, but it can make the song monotonous as the OP has realized...even if you change up the melody....especially two minor chords.

Of course....if you are doing Emo music....it might sound great. :D

Seems like you are really playing in Key of E, maybe laying off or muting the G string. You could go E - C#m - A - B common chord progression.

You could try and a hard stop, key change say to a B (G#m) or an A (F#m), see if that can break you out.

Or as Greg stated, let the notes of the key take over to form a melody just to break it up.

Lots of ways you could go, but I am sure there is something in your head where it is taking you. The real question is, how to get there.

Hope something helps you move it forward.

The roadblock I'm hitting now is that I'm SO used to this after several months, that any chord change I try to throw in to change up the song simply doesn't sound correct. Sure, I know some songs exist on only 2 chords, but I feel it might be too monotonous. Any suggestions on something to try?
This is a question that contains it's own reply.

Yup, leave it at two chords and make the melody take it places.
This is a reply that can't really be questioned.

It's something of a fallacy that you need lots of chords and chord changes to spice things up and make a song interesting.
It's also something of a fallacy that two or three chords guarantees balls and simplicity.
Some really complex stuff can be weaved in around a two chord figure. In fact, if your melodic ideas are strong enough, you could stick on one chord.
The key {ha ! No pun intended} is how it all meshes together to create moods and effects, not whether there's only a chord or two or ten in it.

This is the same kind of progression as "Light my Fire" by the Doors, only you're playing it with Em and C#m instead of Am and F#m. They were able to break out of it with a nifty little IV V I for the chorus and make a million dollars. Maybe you can too! :) Good luck.

Back