Getting new mics.

Scrubucket7

Ive been looking at getting mics for drums and stumbled upon the Superlux FK-2. I assume its a pretty shitty mic bases on the price, but ive never heard too much negativity about the brand. Does this mic sound like a monkey shitting on a bagel? or is it any good? Is it worth it to just buy a 52 or d112?

Also, about the superlux LDC's. Once again, are they any good? Or is it just another brand to stay away from?

Never tried em, but I know that a D112 is definately worth it. I have one, and you won't regret spending the extra 100 to find one used...

Jacob

I used the FK-2 on kick drum for this test.

I put some EQ on it while tracking, but on some of the newer tracks I found I liked it better with no eq. I don't have an .mp3 or .wav for that yet, but I will soon.

Sorry about my playing... it was a sound check and I brought it home to check on a few other systems.

Wow, that sounds suprisingly good. Im thinking about buying one, simply because of the price, and then if i upgrade later, i can keep it around for a floor tom or bass cab mic.

What did you use for a pre on that?

PhilGood said:
I used the FK-2 on kick drum for this test.

I put some EQ on it while tracking, but on some of the newer tracks I found I liked it better with no eq. I don't have an .mp3 or .wav for that yet, but I will soon.

Sorry about my playing... it was a sound check and I brought it home to check on a few other systems.

It was with the stock pres on an old Ramsa mixer of mine. I don't remember the model offhand.

Before this one I was using a CAD KM412 and it was a one trick pony. Super lows, no real attack, low output. I hated it for most things. Good on bass amps.

The FK-2 is quite versatile. It really changes depending on it's placement. For this track I had it pointed at a 4inch vent on a black reso head. I could hear the whole drum! Very nice. However, stick the mic 3" inside pointed parallel with the shell and use a felt beater and WOW, you get a deep with the attack that sounds like a potato hitting a wall.

I Love it!! Very versatile! I can't see a reason to step up except that the Shure SM52 has a bigger false bass. I often use mine with a subkick mic for that extra low end.

Back