getting my music on youtube

soren1850

I would like to be able to post recorded music on youtube and I'm pondering a couple of options. I have a 1680, lots of mics and, of course, musical instruments. I have recorded and mixed on the 1680 before so I can get a final "product" on the 1680. How, then, do I get that to youtube? I also have camtasia on my laptop. Finally, should I just go with recording/mixing software on my laptop and go from there to youtube? Thanks in advance for your help!

Export the mixed song from the 1680 to your computer.
Not sure what Camtasia offers, most video editing software let you add an audio track (which would be the file from your 1680) and mute the audio that accompanies the video file you are using.

It's your own stuff I assume? Youtube won't play fair with covers - at best, nothing happens and they stick ads on and the copyright owner gets the funds, but mid annoyance is they leave the video - which for you is pointless, or worst case, they just remove it. I have lots of music on youtube, but not all because they keep identifying it as belinging to .......... me, and 50/50 taking it down. Worse still is I even get copyright claims from big companies like Warners or Song CBS claiming my music! It's a real pain fighting it. If the music is your own, and not similar to anything else - it's fine.

Hi Soren1680! Almost a month has gone by so I suppose you already started a channel and don't come back here. In case you do, leave a link as it would be nice to go to your channel and listen to your music. There's also a forum here where you can post your music to the members and they will go to your channel. It was nice they did that with one of my songs, but unfortunately it was an earlier draft. I wanted to remove it and discovered once you post your song in that forum you can't take it out, so be aware of that. I have three covers, Both Sides Now by Joni Mitchell, Massachusetts by The Bee Gees, Who Knows Where The Time Goes? that's intewoven with my own song "Signals" and never had a problem, yet I'm not a major talent so no problem from Warner or Sony etc. What I learned, or what it's worth ha, is every year YouTube buys a major license to cover everyone who plays a cover song. I think it's very popular for home producing musicians to post playing a cover. Maybe Rob is very popular and somehow the big companies want to interfere and give him a hassle and/or other very popular musicians and YouTube must have a rule to allow them to do that which is too bad. They advertise with my originals and covers but for me that's okay as it seems they like my music enough they want to advertise with it. No one knows I'm there and my numbers are low so maybe that's why I've had nothing taken down. For two weeks I wondered why my graph figures flat-lined then started up again going upwards and not sure what that was. I don't advertise so not many know I've even "there" but I suppose in time, although with some songs it's over a year! I just want to see if the general public likes my music or not. I think you'll like having a channel. Carpe Diem! Winfred

OP was a hit and run poster.. doubt he ever saw any responses.

I have posted several covers and never had an issue , never had oner moved. I usually mention they are a cover.

I have posted several covers and never had an issue , never had oner moved. I usually mention they are a cover.
Yup, one message, ha! The OP may have read the responses and not replied. Nice.

Well, for anyone else who has the same basic questions:
should I just go with recording/mixing software on my laptop and go from there to youtube?
Record on 1680, upload to laptop, maybe mix there, definitely master there, produce your video (if you want one, if not just put a pic or slideshow up there), sync your audio to pic, and upload to youtube.
mid annoyance is they leave the video - which for you is pointless
Actually, if you're just starting on YT, this can still be pretty useful for ramping up the subs and "watch hours" necessary to get to monetization.
Uploading to YouTube is simple but what do your mixes sound like?
I believe it goes thru a limiter as it is uploaded. I'm sure someone else knows more about this than I do?

Not just a limiter, it’s a clever algorithm to ensure music levels sound broadly similar. I do lots of quiet music, with dynamics from loud to very quiet and YouTube leaves my mixes alone. Spotify and the others too. So whatever people complain about loud and often is genre specific. I suspect the already squashed audio has so few gaps in it that it triggers the system and this impacts poorly on some music. EDM suffers badly, classical music doesn’t, which is the opposite of common sense.

Back