Getting mixes to translate....

stepXinXtheXmix

I use a pair of M Audio BX8's to mix, bad purchase. I should have gone with flat frequency monitors, like NS 10's. But my question, is there a way to take those bias away from my monitors, like a master EQ or is it just a matter of dropping a grand?

why cant you mix on those, specifically what issues are arising from mixes done on them?

do you know how commercial mixes sound on them?

Is your room treated in any way?

and since when were NS-10s good...I thought the idea is that they are so shite that if you get a mix to sound good on them it'll sound good anywhere :)

I dont know the monitor but I know what budget its in and I bet its not the monitor thats the problem

I should have gone with flat frequency monitors, like NS 10's.
I almost vomited a little bit when I read that. Why does your gear list say "NS10"...?

Anyway -- 90% of the time, bad translation is the fault of the room far more than the 'inaccuracy' of the monitors.

I'll call it 'inaccuracy' because you're not going to find anything near 'truly accurate' in that size - Not even after 'dropping a grand' -- But you can find decent and consistent.

That said, Rule Number Two states: No matter how accurate and consistent your monitoring chain may be, it will only ever be as accurate and consistent as the room they're in allows them to be.

There is special software available, one of them is called ARC- advanced room correction to get things eq'ed right, but John is right, if you dont put some serious bass traps in your room (not that egg crate foam junk) you will never hear the mix right even if you drop $10k on monitors!

Even "room correction" software doesn't actually correct the room -- It finds problematic frequencies and eliminates them. It makes the room seem better by making the speakers less accurate.

So you might not hear that 10dB peak at 130Hz -- But you won't hear any 130Hz -- because it's gone.

And EQ'ing a room into 'accuracy' only works for for a single point in space. Theoretically, you could make EQ corrections to make a single point somewhat accurate. However, if that point in space happens to be precisely where your left ear is, it doesn't mean a thing for where your right ear is. On top of that, if you're in a 30dB null point, it's going to add 30dB of (pick a frequency - Perhaps somewhere between 70 and 100Hz) to the speakers to make up for the null at that particular point in space - Which (A) will probably blow the speakers and (B) wouldn't have a thing to do with a point in space less than a foot away (up, down, sideways, forward, backward -- All will change drastically within a foot).

The *only* effective way to correct the frequency response in a room is to correct the room.

again- what he said ;)

but correcting the room doesnt have to be THAT hard or THAT expensive. ie- do you know any guys who work in air conditioning? they can get rigid fiberglass for CHEAP! a few layers of that stuff in strategic places (it comes in several sizes but 2" is good) and you have already improved things 1000%! Dont be afraid of room correction, just dont go saving egg cartons please, its not going to help you ;)

Back