Getting levels with POD

Pbass75

hey everyone,
im using a pod into my digital recorder and when i listened back to just the guitar track i noticed some nasty digital distortion,even when my meters on my recorder were FAR from peaking. i decided to try turning down the "output level" on the pod and it seemed to take care of the distortion. has anyone else experienced this? could that REALLY have been what was causing the distortion?

thanks

yeah jon...once i turned my output level down it was fine...strange huh? anyways thanks guy.

ps hey jon did i read somewhere you have a roland VS machine? im really thinking hard about getting one (1880) but it looks so frustrating to learn to navigate through all the menus....

thanks again

I've had the same thing happen to me. I just posted an MP3 in the mixing clinic that has that exact problem on the rythm guitar track. I didn't notice it when recording, the meters were only about 3/4 at the max level, and only heard it when I listened back to the entire track later on. I have noticed that it's more likely to happen when I have the Output Level on the POD up rather high, around 80%-90%, and I am recording direct. When it's lower than that or running through an amp I haven't had it happen yet.

Hey guys,
I record with the POD output level maxed out and don't get any digital distortion. I usually set the channel faders at 0 and get a decent recording level with no clipping. Have you guys tried backing off on the trim?
I know when I first tried it with the output maxed, it caused my trim o/l light to light up like a christmas tree, so I had to back off a little.

Hope that helps!
Brad

I've got the original 880 (as opposed to the 880 EX.) It's cool to record with, everything in one box, very portable and all. Editing is definitely a nightmare, and if you try to do lots of fine tuning of recorded material by cut and paste you will hit the menu mess head on. I feel like I'm going at it in the dark, and after spending so much time with this thing over the last few years I actually know what I'm doing with it. It's still such a pain compared to editing in software on the PC. Fortunately enough people complained and several compaines have worked with Roland to develop software for the PC that controls it. You can also do what I do to edit stuff: Transfer whatever needs editing to the PC.

The 880 is a great machine, and can be had for a decent price now. Just make sure you either get the software for PC control or you have a plan to get from the 880 to the PC easily. If you are looking at the 1880 then hopefully there are some options for remote control of it as well. If you have any more questions about the 880 or VS recorders in general, post away. I'll try to answer them.

BTW, A major resource for VS recording is www.vsplanet.com. They have a BBS similar to this one just about the Roland machines.

Back