Getting firewire on laptop

mx_mx

Hey heres my dealio:
I have an Acer aspire 1641 laptop. It aint got firewire. In my control panel it says i have a Texas Instruments PCI-1510 cardbus controller. Can anybody tell me if there is some sort of firewire adapter i can get for this to connect a firepod to the laptop? Thanks

Since it's a firepod, I'd avoid NEC controller chipsets. Get a card with a TI or VIA chipset. I have a firebox and presonus has acknowledged it has issues with the NEC, so wouldn't personally chance it with a generic chipset like you'll find in a lot of those cards off ebay. YMMV

mx_mx said:
Hey heres my dealio:
I have an Acer aspire 1641 laptop. It aint got firewire. In my control panel it says i have a Texas Instruments PCI-1510 cardbus controller. Can anybody tell me if there is some sort of firewire adapter i can get for this to connect a firepod to the laptop? Thanks

Just so you know, I learned recently that a cardbus firewire interface cannot supply bus power, even using 6-pin cables. So you'll have to use external power supply.

ari

amuro73 said:
Just so you know, I learned recently that a cardbus firewire interface cannot supply bus power, even using 6-pin cables. So you'll have to use external power supply.

ari
Please explain. Do you mean like an ac adapter or something?

4 pin adapters and PCMCIA cards do not provide BUS power to Firewire devices. You're firewire device will have to be plugged in with its included wall wort adapter.

Back