Getting Feedback with a semi hollow.

clntgn

So, I'm doing covers with this band I'm in right now. Been playing guitar for about 6 years, so you'd think I'd know how to do this by now, but most of those years were with a strat, and now I have a G&L ASAT Classic with the sound hole and everything. And I think that's effecting my feedback. One part of the song requires a really long, sustained feedback note, and I'm using an Electro-Harmonix LPB to get the gain without screwing around with my knobs on my overdrive/dist pedal or my amp. Sometimes I can get the note to sound right, but other times I get these very obnoxious, and short screeches instead of the singing feedback I want.

What can I do to eliminate this? I'm letting the other guitarist use my strat currently since it's better than his. Is this solely a semi-hollow problem? or is it the way I'm attaining feedback?

I assume this is with the Tele style bridge pickup causing the problem? My Tele (solid body) never got good feedback with a Fender 2x12 cabinet. Just the wrong combination of things. With the Celestion in my SPider 75, nice feedback. So experiment - and take your Strat back before the other guys phucks it up!

or is it the way I'm attaining feedback?

^^^this^^^ Your gain stages are obviously wrong. When you overdrive the shit out of one pedal with another pedal all you get is that nasty screeching feedback. Singing feedback requires that you stand at a particular distance from the speakers so that the signal feeds back into the guitar pickups. Feedback has more to do with volume and proximity than it does with gain. So just figure out where you need to stand and where your amp needs to be located to achieve feedback at your particular stage volume. Then set up that way every time.

Yep, Oconnor's right - you need to pace out the spacing for the feedback - & that can bevolume, distance & note specific, (read about Robert Fripp & his playing on Bowie's Heroes), semi acoustics are GREAT for easy early feedback! I have to mark out where NOT to stand.
A bit of duct tape on the spot (s) will do wonders once you've done your experimentation & measuring.
& Yeah, take your strat back - the guitarist needs his own tools - you'll have a cow when he turns up having done some mod or other to suit his needs!

+ for the two above. 355.. Even a small amp, up on chair with moderate gain.
Getting some particular tone or note to do just what I might like to get.. IDK, at some point it seems you can end up sacrificing one tone chasing the other setup

Like real estate....it's all about location, location, location. :D

I got a Hagstrom Viking, which has a similar body style as the 335, and also a s smaller, but deeper body Ibanez Artcore AG85...and with either of them, I just have to approach the amp, and they'll start to resonate and feedback...
...all at moderate levels and no juiced up front-end, just guitar into amp.

Back