getting drums away!!!

W.S. Walcott

I'm having a tough time setting up my mics and monitoring the levels because the drums are in a room 10' away and shutting the door and putting blankets on the wall isn't solving the problem...would getting a 100' snake and running it to my detached garage and setting the drums up there work...would that 100' of cable add noise etc...

heres a link @ a snake I found....

any suggestions? better snakes? snakes not an option?

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=3486&Category=Snakes

Yeah, it will add noise, but not so much. You said you are setting up the drum in the garage and if your garage is not sound isolated, then the noise your microphones pick would be more than the cable noise, so you dont have to worry about the cable noise for now :p
Drums are very hard to isolate unless you have a soundproof booth/room, so just try to use some baffles and reduce the leak, that would help.

Just record a few test takes and then listen back. I record drums in the same room as the recorder and it's a bit of a pain but not that big of a deal.

TexRoadkill said:
Just record a few test takes and then listen back. I record drums in the same room as the recorder and it's a bit of a pain but not that big of a deal.

Ditto here man. Thats how I do my drums. My drums arent in the same room as my board but,...they might as well be! Check out the studio pics I posted and you'll see how close my drums are to my board.

Level everything up,..record a few takes and take a listen. I have all my drum mics on a 75ft box to fan snake ( temporary "free" solution to not having enough mic cable of my own). The noise level is not something that has been a problem for me. But ,...thats a relative thing though. All depends on how much noise is tolerable for you or your client.

Take 'er easy,....
Calwood

I have my drums in the basement with a snake ran up the laundry chute to an upstairs control room. It works fine for me. Like Jeyan said, the noise from the mics outweigh the cable noise. The cable noise is barely, if at all audible.

Back