Getting Back to Business

aaroncomp

1-20-2009
Hey gang, (very) long time no post. I've been out of the game for quite some time because of the hours my career consumes. I mostly doodle time-to-time with the acoustic. Recently, I've been itching to get my creative side flowing again, and thus seek some up to date advice from you guys - mostly concerning DAWs and drum plugins.

Brief overview on my setup: Firepod, PodXt, various pres/compressors/mics, midi keyboard, monitors, etc. Also, a variety of VST/i, and DX plugins. Currently running Vista 32. Comp: P4 3.0, 2GB, 5HDD (RAID 0 Raptor on OS).

The last time I was doing this, I was running XP and using Audition 2.0, FL Studio, and DFH. I've been running Vista for a few months, and like most, I'm not thrilled with it, and understand that it's not ideal for DAW setups (willing to change, but likely will retroactively create a dual boot setup).

What I want: A stable, fast setup that is user friendly (i.e. not a huge learning curve) and allows very quick idea to creation. I've always been a big fan of Audition, but understand its limitations and am open to other options. Over the past week or so, I've been experimenting with demo/trial software as well as any relevant torrent (sorry, I really do want to try-before-I-buy). One HUGE factor/wish is for the drum creation to be very simple, but very high quality/realistic - it needs to work flawlessly with the DAW. My DFH has awesome samples, but takes me too long to create the sound I'm looking for, and isn't the quickest/most efficient tool. I'm very impressed with EzDrummer, thus far. I've also heard great things about Addictive Drums, but have had problems getting it going.

So, given that the software I'm demoing isn't the full blown, updated patch verions, I'm not 100% able to make a call on compatibility. I'm enjoying Sonar - not too shabby. Cubase - any way you can actually try their software before purchasing?

SO... shoot me some suggestions. I want a DAW and Drummer that integrates awesome together and fits my criteria. Oh yeah, I'm going back to XP, aren't I? :D

Thanks! It's good to be back! ;)

Back