Getting back into it. Looking at guitar amps.

pablo

Long story short, I joined this forum a long time ago. I was an audio producing major when I joined (don't look at my join date) and then I became a film major and ended up a journalist. I know how funny that is, but now I want to play some music for fun and unlike in college I have some spare income to spend and I am debating whether I should spend some money on a marshall amp or a vox amp for my guitar.

I grew up on green day and sublime. I am very experimental at this point. If it matters, my guitar is a Peavy Mystique.

I know, extremely vague question. Just brainstorming.

So......you're mainly focused on the amp brand name or do you have a specific style of amp and tone you are after?

Are you going to do music that sounds like Green Day and Sublime....or something esle?

Welcome (back) Pablo! Where in St. Louis are you (if you're still there)? I'm in St. Louis as well.

When you say spare change, what does that mean? (Amps run the gamut in terms of prices.) And besides the bands you mentioned, how would you describe the sound you're looking for? Also--do you want enough horsepower to keep up with a loud band, or is this more for recording purposes?

I've got numerous amps, and the ones that kill in a live situation are not always the same ones I prefer to record with--that's why I ask. Some work well with pedals in front of them, some don't. Some fill a hall by themselves, and others sound better in a recording with a mic in front of them. Different horses for different courses, y'know?

So tell us a bit more about what you're looking for and we can offer you better advice. And in the meantime, feel free to ignore miroslav's potentially snide comment about brand names. It's late and his coffee maker is broken.

Don't do it. Before long you'll be penniless with a house full of gear you never use and spend all your time in the cave.

You escaped once, twice is unheard of..

Thank me later..:thumbs up:

Hi Pablo!
Check out my 10/20 then investigate the 5 watter.
More than loud enough at home and superbly quite for the studio. Can be micc'ed/cabbe'd up for stage use or feed a board from the emulated output, Tres versatile!

Dave.

Hi Pablo!
Check out my 10/20 then investigate the 5 watter.
More than loud enough at home and superbly quiet for the studio. Can be micc'ed/cabbe'd up for stage use or feed a board from the emulated output, Tres versatile!

Dave. BTW. Has the forum got slow and sticky for everyone or is it my end?

Back