Getting a good low end without blowing stuff up

Jon X

I have a problem getting a good low end sound in the mixing and mastering stage on most songs once the CD is burned. I get it sounding great on my monitors, but when the CD is played on smaller speakers... such as computer speakers or even sometimes on my crappy truck speakers, the low end overloads the speakers and distorts. If I turn it down to a level that doesn't distort in the mixing or mastering stage I don't get the nice low end on speakers that can handle it, such as my home stereo. I am relatively new to mixing, and I'm mastering stuff myself using software. Anyone else have a similar dilemma? I want to get a good low end, but don't want the CD to be terrible for others to listen to on certain systems. Commercial CDs that I compare my stuff too don't have the same distortion effect on the smaller speakers. I have spent literaly weeks trying to resolve this problem with certain songs. I've compressed and limited all I know how to do, but then again I don't know all that much.

Is it my lack of knowledge and skill, lack of equipment, or something else I'm just totaly missing?

Any, and I do mean ANY, advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I don't even think I would mind someone saying I need to go out and buy some real equipment rather than use software. I'm thinking of sending out a disc to get mastered to see what they can do with it and what I'm missing out on. That bothers me though because I want to be able to do it myself, and I think it's possible to get the sound I'm looking for in a home studio. Thanks for any help.

Run your .wav file playback through some of those crappy speakers you're talking about
before you burn the CD. Every mastering house I've read about uses several sets of speakers including some real garbage ones.

You gotta watch your low end with digital!!!

Let me suggest that you listen to a whole lot of music on your monitors. Play CD's that sound good on other systems through your monitors. Get used to how the low end sounds.

Also, don't expect that your little home setup is offering the type of nearly flawless high end sound that a good mastering house will provide. Mastering houses have a minimum of $50k invested just into the equipment, and then there is the tuned room to consider also. Plus the experience of the engineer is the single biggest factor that makes a difference in recording. One day, I am going to record some stuff with two cassette decks and a little mixer to prove this point. I have learned so much since the days that I recorded like that and it would be interesting to see how a recording done in that manner would turn out.

Good luck.
Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

It could possibly be sub bass or nearly inaudible bass that is put on disc. I have an old donald fagen disc that i suspect wasn't run through a low cut because it makes my subs in my pa system just go in an out the full extension very slowly and you obviously can't hear it. I almost always mix a little bass heavy because most of my mics respond well in the bass area and i don't eq when recording. So instead of doing corrective eq on each channel, I just do a bit of a low cut when mastering.

If you figure out how to do it let me know... I am in the process of wrangling my kick drum, a TR-808, a tuned down bass, and two tuned down guitars into a clean mix...
I am using Korn's first album as a guide for placing freq's but my TR-808 just doesn't seem to obey the rules... I've tried EQ-ing it, compressing it, and such and it still pumps my VU meters sky high...
I suspect that it is a matter of mastering...
Korns dic is loud as f*ck and the TR-808 is in your face but it never sends the VU's over 0db. If I try to get my shit to ride the VU's at 0db then you can't hear the TR-808... Somehow they are squeezing it in... I suspect it is some form of compression applied during the mastering... I dont know. All I know is that they THUMP without bouncing the VU through the roof...
Ed???
S8-N

[This message has been edited by Dragon (edited 10-10-1999).]

I remember going to a sound clinic long ago that a product developer from Peavey put on. I actually learned a good deal about gain structure, and some other niffty sounding things there. Anyway, he talked about how high frequencies can actually "ride" on low frequencies while sound developes. Much the way a big wave can have little waves on it. The little waves add some beauty to the big wave. Give it character. Define it from other big waves. Make it stand WAY out from medium waves. Lost you yet??? LOL

While I still don't know the specifics of this theory, I kind of get the drift. Frequencies need some very accurate tuning to bond well together. The ability to fine tune frequency and amplitude, and the ability to hear it accurately is very important to achieving balanced sound. If the listening environment is flawed, how can you make decisions concerning balancing frequencies???

Lets take for instance the fact that sound actually takes time to develope to its full potential. Time alignment is crutial in a monitoring system. With the frequencies arriving at so many different times to our ears, we are apt to try to equalize the frequencies when the real problem is that they are abnormally out of phase.

Crap!!! I ain't going there with this. Too many beers tonight, and not enough volcabulary to get the point across tonight.

Here is the bottom line guys. The studio Korn recorded in has more invested into microphone cables that any 5 of us has into our whole set up (excluding me, I have almost $80k into my rig). If you want to hear my point, shell out the bucks to buy a Monster Studio Link 1000 microphone cable. Compare that bad boy to what you are using now. I have no doubt that you will hear a drastic difference in the resolution on the microphone signal. Now, wire a whole stereo source with it, from the sourse device to the mixing deck, to the monitor amp, to the monitor with this same quality cable. Add in a Neve pre-amp. I tell you what, with that cable and a Neve, and any decent condenser mic, you will get the most unbelievably accurate sound you have ever heard!!! Now lets compound this with having custom made guitars and amps, and drums, etc.....I think that you can see where I am heading with this. It is what I always say when people are complaining that they can't get the kind of sounds that they hear on professional CD's, "IF YOU WANT THAT KIND OF SOUND, USE THAT KIND OF EQUIPMENT!!!"

You are going to have nothing but sonic problems with average instruments, average microphones, average pre-amps, and average wiring. Your results are going to be only as good as the weakest link. Korn records in studios that cost at least $2000 a day!!! That is what pays for all those Neve, Focusrite, API, Summit, Fairchild, Millenium Media, Manley, Vally Audio, GML, Crainsong, DBX Blue Series, Telefunken, Neumann, AKG, SSL, Meyer, Lexicon, Euphonix, Urie, Drawmer, etc....gear. Plus, those rooms that are tuned by Joe Blow,Phd in acoustical engineering!!! Hey guys, how are we expected to get mixes that compare to facilities that run a minimum of around 2 million dollars?!?!?!?!?! IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!

So, here is what I suggest for getting those really big kick drums to stick out and not kill your home stereo.

1 - Pay very close attention to your tuning. Remember, the frequencies need to compliment and support each other. If your 808 is tuned to 50hz, and your guitars are playing at 260hz (fundamentals I mean), well, you don't have a musical harmony going on here, so, you have dissonance. The vibrations are gonna fight each other, so, you are going to try to add some strength to the lower one to make it stay put in the mix. It is a well known fact that the timbre of an instrument is the effect that the overtones it creates mask lower frequencies. The higher the amplitude of dissonent frequencies above the fundemental, the less rich the fundamental sounds. So, you are going to try to beef up that fundamental by applying EQ, which of course is now going the cause the fundamental the be out of phase somewhat, which can lead to it distorting, which takes away from the attack, which leads you to not hear it very clear, which leads you to want to turn it up some more, or to add some high frequency EQ to it, which will cause the higher frequencies to be out of phase a bit, which will lead it to distort, which will take away it's attack, which leads you to not hear it very well, which leads you to want to turn it up some more, which just leads to running out of head room at the mix down deck, and you still haven't got the damn tone to resonate correctly. LOL......What a vicious circle bad tuning can lead to. If the upper frequencies or overtones are harmonic based against the fundamental, they will lend a smoother, richer, more detailed sound to the fundamental. So what I am saying is that you need to understand how the tuning of even drums can affect a mix. If a 808 kick drum is going to be used in a mix, it needs to be in key with the song for it to sound right.

2 - Make sure that your signal path is as short as possible!!! Let me say that again. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR SIGNAL PATH IS AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE!!! And avoid the patch bay if you can. Just some more damn connections and wires to run through.

3- Buy the highest quality wire you can afford. Don't think that the generic brand mic cable at the music store was intended for high resolution audio. It was designed to be cheap because mostly it is going to be used on stage where it will get trampled on, thus, rendering it useless for passing a high quality signal. But the good stuff. Magami, Canare, Monster Studio Link 500 or ever better the 1000 series. Hell, Horizon ever makes some high resolution wire. You ain't gonna find it in Musicians Friend though. Or at the local music store. You are going to have to look around for this stuff, especially if you want to get it at a price that doesn't require a loan from an Arab prince.

Enough!!! Hell, you guys should pay me for this one...... :)

Ed

The first thing I'd try to get the "thump" from the 808 is boost at around 80-90Hz. That's the frequency area that makes you feel it in your chest. Then, I've found that a boost at around 3kHz really brings out the attack of the drum. Of course, for that huge Korn sound, you need to figure out how to hear the bass drum over the bass guitar and over those low ends on the guitars. If I were you, I'd give the bass guitar a boost around 130-150Hz, and then cut everything under that to let the bass drum come through. I'd also probably cut all the stuff from 200Hz on down off of the guitars, so they don't drown out the bass guitar. It's pretty much like a puzzle, I guess.... You just have to work with your ears instead of your eyes to fit all the pieces together right.

As far as the overload problem on the low freqs, as a general rule on my mixes I usually just cut out anything below 50Hz, mainly because these frequencies are incredibly powerful and will overload your meters without adding a lot of volume to the mix. Plus, most people can't get below 50Hz on their speakers anyway. I'd also STRONGLY recommend using a limiter/compressor on your mixdown; it'll cut down all the heavy spikes from the low frequencies and those piercing mids (the 4-5kHz ones), thus letting you boost the overall mix to get a much louder final product. I use the L1 Ultramaximizer by Waves (software), which certainly isn't cheap, but to be honest, I couldn't do without it.

Ryan

Actually the frequency that is common to many people's chests is 60-75 or so depending on chest. The magical compression they use in mastering is most likely a multiband. I have a behringer 4 band compressor that rocks. Makes everything sound like a finished product. It kinda tricks the human ear into not noticing the compression while maintaining decent levels. S8-N, watch that you don't spend your time trying to get your mix to just sit there around 0db. It will eventually tire out the listeners ears. Think dynamics....

Another thing I've noticed is that when I set my levels to ride 0db and the levels of Korn 1 to ride 0db and switch back and forth between the two... The Korn cd is much much louder than mine, but the VU's give the impression that they are about the same volume...
And like I said, the TR-808 doesn't even seem to nudge the VU's, although its loud enough...
Someday I will finish my song with the troublesome TR-808...

Hey S8-N,

Mid frequencies are viewed as loudness. It
may be bass heavy. Try this. Sub mix and compress things. Like a stereo drum submix with compression, then a little compression on the bass guitar. Then a really light touch of stereo compression. Then just try to get a good mix that touches 0 or a little over every now and then, and the lowest it drops is like -6 to -8. Then in the mastering world, cut a little bass at 60 hz, cut some 390, then add a little boost somewhere between 1k and 2.2k this should point you in the right direction

mattchew-wonderboy

Hey Ed,
I see where you are going with the money issue... Legend has it that Korn's first disc was done for very little $$$. It was their first album, on a new label (Immortal) and wasn't commercially appealing... There were no hit songs off of it...
It was done at Indigo Ranch studio in LA, which was at the time, a low rent $50 per hour studio that no one used. I'm sure much has changed since then. Producer Ross Robinson is now the most sought-after producer for underground heavy music because of his ability to get a good sound from marginal gear... He also seems to be THE man when it comes to getting the low-tuned sound on to tape without it sounding like sludge...
I can't tell you exactly what gear the studio has but I've seen clips from the recording of their first album and I swear I've recorded in better studios for less than $300 per day...
I'll send you the disc in question if you think you might have time to give it a listen and give me some feedback...
S8-N

I see where you are going S8-N. When me and Producer Chris Stevens mixed the Heavy Brothers CD, we did it in a studio that went for about 45-50 an hour (with engineer. we of course choose the cheaper route of renting it without). So, I don't think that you neccesarilly need a high dollar studio to get really good results. Having a lot of TIME, and PATIENCE, and KNOWLEDGE, and VISION will get you what you need in a recording/mix.

We are still looking at a budget on that Korn album of probably at least 50-60K for recording/mix. That is a lot of dough!!! The biggest budget I ever worked with was the Heavy Brothers CD, and if the exec.producer had paid full price for recording/mix, it would have been about 25-30K. So, half the budget. I thought that the outcome was pretty damn good. Stacks up well against other like products. Hurray!

There is a point of diminishing returns with anything. Certainly the difference between a 50 an hour studio and a 150 is usually not going to be in things that are evident at a casual look or listen. Often, studios start out charging a whole lot less than what they are worth just to get the business. I have to do that still here and there. But at some point, you are busy, and you are going to stay busy, so you are going to charge more. That is supply and demand. I am sure that that studio that Korn did there 1st CD in is probably going for a bit more than 50 an hour now. But, I think we are dealing with the exception here, rather than what is common. There are studios in the Portland Oregon area that many big name people have recorded at that go for a whole lot less than the big boy studios. Why these studios are not around anymore is probably because they could never charge enough to get ahead of the technology game, and ever important thing for high end studios. They also lacked that personel to make it fly at the big time level. So, too expensive for the local market, and to low tech for the money for the big time market. That is the way it goes.

Anyway, my point is that "GENERALLY" you are going to need to go to studios that go for a lot more money than most of us can afford to get the kind of results that compares to the big boy sound. For every example you can give me of a low tech recording becoming a hit, or sounding great, I can play you 10 high budget recordings that sounds like crap. These are the exceptions, not the common recordings.

I still will make the point that more bucks will almost always rent you a better studio, with a better engineer. You can almost always count on the results from a high dollar studio being superior to the best a low tech facility can produce. The experience of the engineer, and the superior equipment list make this almost a certainty.

And I still must emphasis the quality of the wiring throughout your audio chain!!! Good wire, good sound. My $250 Behringer dynamic processors is every bit as good as most Drawmer, dbx, Aphex etc...processing that goes for more than twice the price. But if I have junk wire connecting it, it will never live up to its promise. Neither will the more expensive equipment. Any "Regional" sized studio will have at least Magami or Canare cable in it. Those brands of cable are far superior to what you can get from the average music store. I don't care what the packaging says on the Horizon "regular guy" mic cable, it will not pass as good of an audio signal as the good wire will. Times this by every connection from deck to patch bay, patch bay to console, patch bay to in on processor, out of processor to patch bay, patch bay jumper cables, etc........you have a significantly degraded audio path from the wire alone!!! That is just one of the advantages of high dollar studios, better wire.

Also, have you ever seen a Telefunken mic pre-amp before? Holy cow!!! They look like something you would find at an old mans garage sale sitting behind a stack of books with a $1 price tag on it. Old, clumsy looking, heavy, ugly. But, this is a killer sounding mic pre! So don't let the appearance of a studio from a picture fool you. Often, the Class A mic pre's are sitting somewhere where you can't see them in the recording room off to the side. Often, the mic cable is running right to them, then the output running through the house snake to the control room. Ever seen a Lexicon 480 L? A black box with nothing on the front sitting in the rack. Look on the console for the very 60's looking control box for this unit. The control unit is quite small and could easily be missed in a photo. It might have been sitting off to the side somewhere. Old LA/2A's look like something out of a 50's sci-fi movie, yet, they are some of the most sought after leveling amplifiers around. Manley's stuff generally look very unimpressive also. So, don't let the "look" of a studio fool you. There was probably some very impressive boxes in that studio Korn did there first CD at.

I will address an issue here also that in my opinionated opinion makes probably the biggest difference in how a recording is going to turn out. I often don't address this issue with musicians and post's on this forum because it is a very delicate issue. By saying this, I could very well offend a lot of people. But, here it goes.

MOST MUSICIANS WILL NEVER, NO MATTER HOW MUCH THEY SPEND TO RECORD, WHAT EQUIPMENT THEY USE ETC.....GET A GREAT SOUNDING RECORDING BECAUSE THEY DON'T REALLY HAVE THE TALENT TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There, I have said it. Whew, I feel so much better by coming out of the closet on this issue on here with all of you. And since I know what a nurturing environment this is, I know that every reading this will TRY TO RIP THIS TO SHRED AND CALL ME ALL SORTS OF NASTY NAMES....... :)

But, I will hold to that comment. I sit for hours listening to somewhat good talent try to record so-so songs all the time. When I am having a good day, I am working with someone that has a decent song with close to big time talent. And on the rarest of days, I will get somebody that will come in and blow my mind! I hear it all the time, the ugly, the bad, the good, and the great. (well, less of the great than I would like). Let me tell you this. When someone who comes in and really has what I feel it would take to be big time and lays a track, it goes quick. The sound comes together fast. The track was recorded within usually 3 takes. Whether the fedelity was perfect or not, at mix, that track shines right through and sounds like it was done by the big time boys. It was a great performance. The artist didn't make any excuses, he/she adapted to the environment and laid down a one of a kind take! It would sound killer listening to it with a coffee can with a string attached to it!

Getting a whole band of people like that is a rareity. That is why for every band that makes it, there are 10,000 bands that flonder in mediocrity. The bands that make it are good, thus, they sound great on tape. The others, well, they talk about the lame engineer at the studio, or how they need the newest box to "make" their sound. Blah blah blah.......They just don't have it, thus, anyone working with them can only rise it up to the next level, if even that.

So lets not forget that getting the right mix, or sound has just as much to do with the quality of the performance and the quality of the song as it does any techinques that were used in the recording or mix, or with the kind of equipment used for the same. If the song and/or performance is so-so, the recording can only be so-so. Recording is totally interactive with the performer. If the performer can't adapt to the environment, AND, do a killer take, there is not much that can be done later to make it sound like a recording that contains killer talent.

So, what am I trying to say here? Let me tell you what I am not saying. I am not saying that everyo

Man, I never expected this thread to end up with 13 (now 14) posts. :) Thanks to everyone that has gotten involved with this discussion, especially all the honest and good advice from Ed. I hope to post some MP3s of my progress soon.

Yes.. Ed - - nice to hear it. That brings up a question I often consider. First, out of curiousity, how many here began recording because they played a musical instrument? How many here consider themselves recording engineers first and muscians or are you a "muscian" first and a "recording engineer" second?

------Second, especially if you consider yourself more the musciain, do you ever find your "creativity" "juice" or whatever, stifled because you are chock full of recording tech ideas, and equipment desires?

What's ya'lls (virginian, alright?) take on the musician/recording engineer relationship. Should they get in each others business?

Back