Get a Mac or keep what I have mixed with my PC?

Atari%201040ST.jpg

Is this the new top secret MacProPro??

You must be close friends with Steve Jobs.

Is this the new top secret MacProPro??

You must be close friends with Steve Jobs.

that changed the face of music for many of us dude...more than my Macbook pro did/does, which is lying in a bag uncharged and unloved ;)

My employer subsidizes Apple products and I love their ergonomics, design, and superior operating system. But do I love those attributes enough to pay Apple's price premium compared to the exact same performance in the PC domain when it's my money? No.

I dont mean to sound like Im bashing Macs...the operating system takes a little to get used to, but its does all seem a little quicker than a similarly spec'd PC... then again its more expensive

Though I have a Sony Viao netbook that was more than twice the price of my macbook pro...and its as fast as a...well a netbook, lol

Im going all Mac this year...just because Im prolly going to upgrade and I own Logic 9 anyway, so may as well take the plunge...but its not because they're better than PCs, thats just stupid, they're whiter :)

Next month I will have some cash in hand to finally obtain the rest of what I need to start recording on my own.

Here is my question: I own a PC that is only about 1 month old. I own a Zoom MRT-3 drum machine. I own a Fast Track Pro interface, and I own a nice condensor mic.

I have seen what Macs are capable of merely using the software that already comes with them (Garage Band). Heck, even the built-in mic sounds better than a lot of mics I've heard. The portability is also attractive.

I'm a newb when it comes to recording so I'm not sure if I should get a new Mac and mix it with everything I already have...or use my newer PC and get some nice software and any cords I may need.

My recording projects will mostly consist of all solo stuff; not band stuff, though when it's done it'll sound like one. I'm not a drummer so I'll have to make my own beats.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to try and help me out!

~Chad

I'm going back to your original post because we've gotten side tracked.

The first question you should ask yourself is "Is my PC getting the job done?". If it's only one month old, then it should be plenty powerful enough for you to do your recordings.

Buying a Mac just because it comes with Garageband is kind of crazy if you ask me. Download Reaper or spend a little more money for some other very capable DAWs.

I don't know how much money you will have, but I feel it could be spent a lot better and wiser on room treatment & monitors. I know that those are not as exciting as a shiny new computer, but it will make for better recordings.

That's my 2 skents.

Oh and btw, it doesn't matter to me whether you use mac or pc. They're both just tools to get a job done.

Thanks for all of your advice. You guys are great! I think I will indeed stick with my new PC and spend the extra bones on some monitors and any cords I'll be needing!

~Chadder Cheeze

I love their ergonomics, design, and superior operating system.

In what way is Unix superior to Windows exactly? I use a MacBook at work and don't see any significant difference between it and my Windows XP box at home, useless eye candy aside.

Back