GeneralMidi *2* Cakewalk IDFs

jojojeronimo

There is no IDF download at the Cakewalk site for GM2, and for some reason, even though the GM patches are in my synth, the IDFs (Instrument Definition Files) for my synth only contain the GM1 patches.

Darghhh!! I really want the 'String Slap' patch (GM2: 218).

Does anybody have any suggestions?
Perhaps:
- Is there a way to create your own IDF files?
- or, What is the point of the GM2 concensus when IDFs dont cater for it? >(

Ill be grateful to anyone who is familiar with this problem and who might know a solution.

I've recorded the 'StringSlap' track in PA9 as Audio, seeing as I dont have the midi IDF, but this can only be a temp solution, considering the size of audio tracks.

Is there a way to create your own IDF files?

Yes there is. In fact, Cakewalk counts on its power users to make these for new instruments all the time, rather than bother with doing it themselves.

It's in the manual, Chapter 14...

But it seems that the patch list can have only up to 128 values. I guess that's why there's no GM2 one if there are more than 128 patches in one bank...

Perhaps there's a way to use two or more definition files for the same instrument and use one or the other for different tracks?I dunno, I'm out of my league here, hopefully someone who knows can give a better response. I would try the usenet Cakewalk newsgroup (news.cakewalk.com) too...

Thanks AlChuck I'll foloow it up - yes that makes sense about the 128 limit (not that it makes sense that there *is* a limit)

Midi is limited to 128 increments of data for any parameter.

You might be able to use a bank change command to access the other sounds.

Back