General sound deadening

TyphoidHippo

1Trillion K Platinum User
My brother called me earlier and asked what the studio I used to work in used for sound deadening (his neighbor has two dogs that are apparently unbearably loud). Long story short - I can't get ahold of the owner of that studio anymore, and I've searched here and on Google for a good hour now and all the stuff is way, way over my head (I've never actually researched or in any way been involved with acoustic treatments and the like), so hopefully somebody here can help me to help him right quick.

He doesn't want to get gipped into buying some kind of insanely expensive "snake oil"/"blinker fluid" kind of stuff, but is willing to pay what it costs to sleep at night. I assume he's planning to put this stuff over his windows and/or walls in his bedroom.

fwiw: I told him the cheapest option was two bullets, lol. Unfortunately, he and I both love animals...

Nightime earplugs.
That's the cheapest solution.

Call the police...that's another.

Soundproofing is not always simple, especially on an existing home/house structure. You have to open up the walls to put stuff in, or build some serious layers over the existing walls.

He could start by adding another layer of 5/8" drywall to the existing drywall on the neighbor's side.

And perhaps donating some drywall to his neighbor for his side...

Hey thanks miroslav and massive master. Earplugs are out, we both are prone to ear infections - police are out too, he says his neighbors are old, and good friends of his wife. Massive - I think your responses assume he's in an apt, and I had to clarify myself, because I haven't been to their place, but it's a house, and the dogs are actually in the neighbor's yard. Honestly I can't imagine a dog that GD loud, but he insists it's upsetting his and his wife's sleep. I vaguely remember something about "R13" insulation kind of working as a general purpose sound deadener. My googling since I originally posted (and for the hour before) can't really come up with anything - bear in mind... this guy isn't actually building a studio (maybe I should have posted somewhere else and been ignored, lol) he just wants to not hear these damn dogs at night anymore. Thanks again, you two - I do respect both of your opinions, from the years past. And thanks to anybody else who can suggest something :)

Where are they sleeping in relation to the dogs? Even moving the bed to the opposite wall of where they are will help a little, followed by heavy curtains on the windows. Do they have a fence? May be time to put one up, would atleast help reflect some of the noise.

...police are out too, he says his neighbors are old, and good friends of his wife.

If they are friendly neighbors, it shouldn't take more than a polite comment about shutting up their dogs, and friends would/should normally do their part to comply.

I'm just saying...noise pollution isn't YOUR problem just because you hear it...it's the problem of the person causing it (their dogs).
Has your brother tried simply talking to them about it? They may not even be aware of how much the dogs are disturbing people?

Anyway...I would try to get the dogs quiet before I went into a major soundproofing project! :D

Talk to the neighbors. If that fails, make a noise complaint every single time they bark after 10pm (or whatever time your local ordinance calls for quiet).

What I don't get is, if your brother can hear these damn dogs through two walls and the air space between the houses (I imagine its more than 10 feet) and it keeps him up at night, how do the owners of the dogs sleep?

Drew

What I don't get is, if your brother can hear these damn dogs through two walls and the air space between the houses (I imagine its more than 10 feet) and it keeps him up at night, how do the owners of the dogs sleep?

Drew

I wish I could understand that too. I've been in houses with 10+ animals and can't imagine how that works!

Back