Genelec 1030a? Should they hiss? Anyone?

vwcsonic

Hi,

I recently got a pair of these, really to turn around and sell to make a few bucks. Anyone out there who has a pair tell me if you have them turned on with no signal going through, even with nothing plugged in the back, the tweeters on mine have an audible hiss--not really loud, but there's hiss. Is this normal, or should they be completely silent when no signal present?

If it's not normal, what might that mean?
Thanks for any help.

:cool:Yo VW:

Unless you have a Gaboon Viper inside the boxes, you should not have any notible hiss.

If you "drive" the monitors somewhere, crank it up, you might hear a vague hum.

If there are no bad cables involved, they should turn on and not hiss unless you get hissed-off at a bad transistor, resistor, or capacitor.

Green Hornet:rolleyes::D

i recall an older post and it turned out to be a capacitor doing the sssssshhhh-thing.

sometimes you can get lucky and visually see a "bloated" cap with spluge coming out...then you'll know.

We've had about 5 pc flat panels repaired and it was a capacitor, and spluge was seen. Fixed em for about $1.20. Cheap parts.

"spluge" is a term copyrighted by Spluge.net.com.edu.Inc.subsidiary of AIG.
US patent and copyright laws prohibit copying or using the term "spluge" without consent, except for people in China who are exempt from all patent and copyright lawyers in the US.:o

Back