Gefell, Telefunken, and George Neumann

Michael Jones

I'm looking for a history lesson.
Can someone offer an explaination of the cronological relationship of these three names?

When war broke out, Georg Neumann moved his operation to the town of Gefell. After the war, he moved back to Berlin, but kept Gefell going as well. Sennheiser bought the Neumann name and the Berlin operation, and Gefell kept going seperately. Telefunken was the distributor for Neumann at one point.

I believe there is a history on the Microtech Gefell website. Harvey's right on as usual. Gefell was somewhat of a secret until the Berlin wall fell, since Gefell was located in East Germany and nobody in the West had heard anything from Gefell since the Wall went up.

My understanding is that the Neumann family now owns Gefell, but has nothing to do with Neumann since Sennheiser bought it.

It is also interesting that Gefell has continued to build the M7 capsule supposedly the same way it's been made since the beginning. They use it in a number of their mics, most notably the UM 92.1S. This is a mic I have on my dream list. Anybody know which Neumann model it compares to?

Back