Garage Studio Design

hookiefree

This is a crudely modified plan from the SAE site made to fit my 23'x23' garage. I know I'm trying to do a lot with the space but do you think it will be functional? I don't mind if it's a little snug but I want it to be comfortable and sound great.

Any comments or suggestions?

Attachments

• 6 room studio.jpg
    6 room studio.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 472
That vocal booth is so small, I doubt it would be functional. If you could eliminat that, and just combine the vocal booth, and "Studio C", I think you'd have a much more functional place. Plus, you could use the expanded "Studio C" as an additional iso room. Just remember that small spaces are REALLY hard to treat.

The other thing that I noticed was that you have a bathroom sketched in there. Is there plumbing in that area?
I'm guessing the garage is a concrete foundation on grade. See, its really expensive to have to tear up your foundation to add plumbing, and it can sacrifice the structural integerity of the foundation.

My garage has a clean-out for plumbing that runs down one wall, if I wanted to add a bathroom, I could tie into that. Is there any thing like that in your garage?
Is there anything else in the garage, like a water heater?
How will you tie in HVAC?

Another thing you need to look into is ingress & egress.
Those are ways into and out of a space.
If I were sitting in your controll room, and there was a fire, the way you have it set-up now, I'd have to go through a minimum of 5 doors, and a maximum of 7 doors to get out! And there's only ONE exit!
You local fire department may frown on that; that space may not meet local fire codes as they pertain to ingress and egress.
I don't know if you have any windows in your garage, but windows can serve as a point of ingress/egress if they meet certian height and width requirements.
Like I say, its definately something you need to look into.

I figured splitting that space for a vocal booth might be pushing it. So if I combine the rooms I'll only have 3 doors to go through in case of a fire. Do you think that'll work?

That's terrible about the bathroom. It's not set up for a bathroom. Would it make more sense to build it attached to the outside of the garage and connected by a door?

I don't have a water heater either. I hoped there was a way to tap into heat and AC in the house. Not having a bathroom will be a major inconvenience since the garage isn't connecte to the house. The garage is right beside the pool too. Does that pose another issue?

hookiefree said:
I figured splitting that space for a vocal booth might be pushing it. So if I combine the rooms I'll only have 3 doors to go through in case of a fire. Do you think that'll work?

That's terrible about the bathroom. It's not set up for a bathroom. Would it make more sense to build it attached to the outside of the garage and connected by a door?

I don't have a water heater either. I hoped there was a way to tap into heat and AC in the house. Not having a bathroom will be a major inconvenience since the garage isn't connecte to the house. The garage is right beside the pool too. Does that pose another issue?
Its not as much the numbers of doors you have to go through as it is having 2 exists to the outside. Again, check with your local fire code official.

For the bathroom, it hould probably be easier to do new construction for that. That way, all the plumbing can be run by trenching the earth outside, and have a new slab poured for it. You'll want to have the bathroom slab "keyed" into the garage slab with re-bar. Not that big of a deal to have done.

If the garage is not connected to the house, then there's probably no feasible way to tie in the house's HAVC.
A heating and cooling system generally utilizes 2 componets. There's a compressor for the A/C, usually located outside, and then there's a blower unit (usually combined with a furnace). Located inside the house. The blower unit delivers the air to the various rooms via ducting, and the compressor delivers the cold to a set of coils above the blower.
So your best bet would be to look into a separate HVAC system for the studio. It can be expensive to have HVAC done right for a studio.
Each room HAS TO HAVE its own dedicated supply and return vents, otherwise your destroying your isolation through the ducting. Duct runs need to be as long as possible, they shoud be oversized for low velocity air flow (which cuts down on noise), and sould incorporate bends to also help reduce velocity.

I'm currently building a 1200 sq. ft. studio that is a separate structure from my house. I had all of that done (plus a few extra things) for my HVAC system, and it came in at $8500.

If you're going to have to have a separate HVAC system, and it sounds like you will, you need to plan for a space inside the studio to house the blower and furnace. I planned an area about 4'x6' to house mine, and that was barely, BARLEY big enough. In fact, I had to drop the bathroom ceiling (which is immediately adjacent to the Mechanical room) to make space for the massive distribution system that takes the ducts to all the various rooms. This was because of all the dedicated runs. It all worked out, but it was a tight fit! Talk to your HVAC contractor early on in the game!

You're getting a little ambitious for this space. I'd scrap Studio C in favor of a proper utility room and entryway. Also you will need storage space. Hallways can be nice and help with your egress problem.

edit:

How about scrapping the vocal booth and using that as the entrance, with a slanty hallway with direct access to the control room & live room? Studio C becomes a well-isolated utility room; Studio A is your iso booth/midi room.

If you can afford a bathroom, you can attach it off the utility room.

How about this (sorry, it's ugly):

You have regular solid-core doors to the hallway, since isolation in the hall isn't critical. Plus an emergency exit in the iso room, which again will leak a bit, but you could build an airlock outside that exit to mitigate that if need be. I drew the hinges on the wrong side of that door, I realize, but it's too hard to change in MS Paint. :o

It still is lacking a direct door from live to control, but that's a major redraw. Unless you simply replace the window with the double sliding door.

What is in the corner of the control room by the way?

Last edited:
I did another version last night. I didn't account for HVAC but maybe it can go in the storage area. It can be bigger if need be.

Are there any other expenses I'm over looking Michael? Building materials, Electrician, Plummer, HVAC man? I want to get a beefy estimate so I'll know what to shoot for or if it's even possible at all. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to go all out but it might not be worth it.

That was a bass trap Ms H. That's how it was in the SAE plans. I'm not really against a hallway but I am greedy for space. What do you think about my latest version?

Better. Storage area has enough room for HWH & furnace but not much else, given the need for a bathroom door. The little exterior addition for the bathroom might need to be larger to add more storage.

How about a mirror image plan? That puts the bathroom closer to the pool, closer to existing plumbing & maybe it can do double duty (pool + studio). Also that moves the main entrance to the control room.

Why the double doors to the main room? Since you only have a single exterior door, I don't see the benefit.

Yeah, that's a much better lay-out.
Do you have any dimensions on that storage space? It takes a lot more room than you might think to house the HVAC.

Michael Jones said:
Yeah, that's a much better lay-out.
Do you have any dimensions on that storage space? It takes a lot more room than you might think to house the HVAC.

It looks to be about 40 ft2. I figured he'd go with a half-size HWH with furnace above, and the ductwork up in the attic.

mshilarious said:
It looks to be about 40 ft2. I figured he'd go with a half-size HWH with furnace above, and the ductwork up in the attic.
40 ft sq.?
Do you mean 4'-0"?
I just went out and measured the Mechanical closet in my studio. It's 3'-0" deep and 4'-6" wide. But we had to make extra space, above the bathroom, to handle the distribution manifold for the supply and return ducting.

On the lower right hand side of this picture is where all the supply and return vents come into the space above the bathroom. That space is about 7'Lx5'Wx3'H, and its really stuffed in there!

Attachments

• supplyandreturn1.JPG
    supplyandreturn1.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 293
Here you can see the blower unit and furnace fit neatly into that mechanical closet, but its the distribution manifold that takes the most space.

Attachments

• ACBLOWER1.JPG
    ACBLOWER1.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 263
I was thinking something along these lines:
(The "X" would be your Mechanical closet.)

Attachments

• studiolayout.JPG
    studiolayout.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 258
I measured measured last night. The ceiling is 8' high and the attic space is 4' at the center and tapers off on the sides as you'll see in the pics. It's a storage space for my cousin's landscaping equipment right now so I hope you can see through all the junk.

Attachments

• attic space.jpg
    attic space.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 40
  • ceiling.jpg
    ceiling.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 38
  • backwall.jpg
    backwall.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 38
  • frontwall.jpg
    frontwall.jpg