G5 and vodoo3 2000 pci

Downside Studio

Hey, anybody know if the vodoo3 2000 pci graphics card can de used in the G5 pci-X slots? Right now I have a 2 tft setup just running from the provided graphicscard. For nuendo I want at least a 3 monitor setup....

I have another G4 running dual screen right now, but can't seem to find out wether the vodoo will be able to handle the 3.5 volts of the pci-x slot?

Anybody knows? Or otherwise a cheap (it's just for nuendo) second displaycard to put in the G5?

Downside Studio said:
Hey, anybody know if the vodoo3 2000 pci graphics card can de used in the G5 pci-X slots? Right now I have a 2 tft setup just running from the provided graphicscard. For nuendo I want at least a 3 monitor setup....

I have another G4 running dual screen right now, but can't seem to find out wether the vodoo will be able to handle the 3.5 volts of the pci-x slot?

Anybody knows? Or otherwise a cheap (it's just for nuendo) second displaycard to put in the G5?

Why on Earth would you risk putting an out of date, discontinued card in a $3000 computer?

Just buy a new one man. I definitely wouldn't risk it.

but that's the problem....no one seems to know what cards can go into the pcix of the G5....if this one works, why nog give it a try...I defenitly want triple monitors, but the third one will be used for just showing plugins and timecode.

I'm not going to try it untill I hear somebody saying it is possible...am not stupid....but if it is possible, why buy a new?

So far the only option I have heard positive stories about is the ATI 7000 PCI macedition, but I can get no real conformation from any of the manufacturers (apple/ATI) that it works in the g5

I'm not an expert in PCI specs but from what I know the Voodoo3 2000 is a PCI 2.1 compliant videocard and as far as I know those can work at both 5V and 3.3V.
Furthermore PCI-X is backwards compatible with PCI.
I'd say it will work.
But no guarantees. I'm just not 100% sure. :D

I sincerely doubt that it will work. Even modern video cards don't work if they don't have Mac-specific firmware.

However, there are several reports in the Apple support forums of people using the Mac Edition Radeon 7000 PCI in a G5 just fine. Perusing there revealed a couple of people even using more than one successfully.

What other PCI/PCI-X device(s) are you going to use?

One concern I have in general is that if you expect to use PCI-X devices on the same bus as the PCI devices you may be disappointed.

Unless Apple has found some workaround (like a PCI-X bus per slot, but that would be crazy), the bus will work at the lowest common denominator (or 32-bit, 33MHz if you have a regular PCI card in).

Just a thought, though it may be irrelevant if all of the rest of your cards will be regular PCI anyway.

Nop, it ain't irrelevant...got the pcix 424 from motu, which will be handeling 32+ in/outs on 24/88.2 soon.....read about the 7000, but local macstore's say it ain't compatible.....the old vodoo was flashed for mac...

but if it is going to drag the system down, that ain't an option.

Surprisingly, between my typing the previous reply and now, I have learned more about the G5... ;)

From looking at the official Apple specs, it appears the G5 has two 100MHz PCI-X slots and one 133MHz PCI-X slot. The two on the bottom are the 100MHz slots, and the one at the top is the 133MHz. So, problem solved I think.

Just make sure you don't put the MOTU and the Radeon 7000 on the same bus.

they dont even make official drivers for the vodoo series cards anymore, only fan based drivers for the PC, i dont think there is anyway the vodoo would even work with a G5

peace
LB

Back