g12t-75 vs vintage 30

dumass

which ones would be better for "punk" style music? i'm looking for a sound like midtown, finch, rufio, etc...

i will be using them with a carvin mts 3200 head. what happened was i have a carvin cab, but i blew a speaker out, so what i might do is replace the blown one now with a celestion, and then over time eventually replace all of them. is this a bad idea?

Not a bad idea at all, though I'd start with replacing two rather than one. I recently replaced the speakers in my BR212's. One cab got a V30/ Eminence GB12 pair, the other got an Eminence 125/ Eminence GB12 pair. The V30 and 125 have good top end and sound British or American respectively. Wish I would have replaced those speakers long ago!

The GB12's are Greenback "clones" with a higher power rating and do have more high end sparkle than Carvin's BR12 speakers (which were made by Eminence). Eminence now makes a more exact clone as part of the Redcoat series.

The V30 has good midrange and high response. The G12T75 has sort of a scoopy mid sound. If it were me, I'd take the V30, but then I like midrange.

Check out the cabs/ prices at www.avatarspeakers.com, their speaker replacement prices are not listed but they're consistently the best prices I've found.

yea, i was in too much of a rush to buy new speakers, so i got 2 g12t-75's from ebay for 130...but then an hour later i found out that avatar has vintage 30s and g12t-75's for the same price! (i was too anxious to wait for his reply)...only $87 (total, already w/ shipping!) ...and for a set of 4 he said it would be a total of $338! yea, i should of gotten the vin 30's...carvin also has a great price for vin 30's, $97 with shipping, but its only for 16 ohm speakers.

Well...the T75's can probably go back out through ebay if needed, and a T75/V30 mix might work well if you get the $$$ for a pair of V30's.

What power tubes do you run in the 3200?

i was using sovtek 5881's, but now i jus switched to sed winged c el 34's...jus switched them, and never got to truly try them out yet. so you think a v30/g12t mix would sound nice? any one wanna second that??

By most reports, those are the best EL34's in modern production. And just about anything beats the sovtek 5881 and the sovtek 12ax7a. :D

yea they sound nice...but i'm finding the g12t a bit harsh...but its still pretty nice.

the problem is with my amp...i bought it used and the sovteks were the stock tubes, and the person i bought it from got the amp in 2002...not sure if it was secondhand or not.
but anyway, i was expecting my carvin to be a lot louder, after i replaced my tubes (i heard u can tell by loss of volume...and since it is 100watts tube, and not that loud)...but when i played with my friend who has the marshall mg half stack, when he was on 5 with the master and 5 with the channel volume, he was just as loud as me on 7/8...

is my amp jus not that loud? or is there something wrong...

also, anyone have n e opinions on the blending of vintage 30's and g12ts? or i might think of going with 2 vintage 30s and 2 g12h's, as noted by the avatar site as a favorite combo.

Is it set for full power?

It may be an impedance issue: make sure your amp's ohmage out is the same ohmage as the cabinet.

It may also be a speaker efficiency issue, as a difference of 3dB will double or halve your volume (and V30's are one of the most efficient speakers out there by most accounts).

It may be a voicing issue, if you have BR12's in your cab, they do not have the high-high end that other speakers do and can get buried, and IIRC the MTS3200 has presence on only one channel. Part of the reason why I changed speakers is the other guitarist in the band uses a fender HR deville 212 and his top end cut through the mix while mine did not...even with 412's in open backed cabs!

yea, its set at full power...and my ohmage is right.

It may also be a speaker efficiency issue, as a difference of 3dB will double or halve your volume (and V30's are one of the most efficient speakers out there by most accounts).

wat does thatr mean? i've played my head through a mesa cab once (w/ v30's) and it didnt seem that much louder...but then again, i was on stage and everything sounded much lower.

right now i have in my cab 2 br12's and 2 g12t's....the celestions are on the top. i guess the g12t's will cut thru...but also i dont wanna lose my bottom end. and when i was playing today with my new speakers and el34's, i sometimes felt afraid that i was going to blow my cab...i guess im just afraid now bc i blew 2 100w br12's. but the funny thing is, i also sometimes use a crate 100watts total cab and that seems to handle the power fine. i bought the carvin cab off ebay, so that might be a cause of the problem

I'm surprised you blew any of your speakers in the first place. The MTS 3200 head is only 100 Watts and the BR12 are 100 Watt each, so that makes a 400 Watt 4x12 cab. I guess there could have been something wrong with the speaker that blew, something wrong with the wiring in your cab or something wrong with your amp. Putting a lot of really low frequencies through the cab could also damage the speakers.

If you are thinking about the buying Vintage 30s or combining them with G12T-75s have a listen to the sound clips at http://professional.celestion.com/products/tone/index.html to hear what the different speakers sound like. If you feel the need e-mail Celestion, Dr Decibel will be glad to help you, but might take a few days to reply to your e-mail.

Comparing the volume of different amps with different gain structures and different inherent tonal characteristics by comparing the volume settings is irrelevant. The only way to tell if your amp is as loud as it should be is to compare it to another identical amp. Also bear in mind that the tone of a sound has a lot to do with our perception of how loud it is. A 90dB 30Hz sound does not sound as loud as a 90dB 1kHz sound.

Chill : 3dB is not half/double the volume. 10dB is. 3dB is a noticeable, but quite small volume change. Also 100 Watt is only twice as loud as 10 Watts, just in case anyone didn't know.

Pete.

Back