G1 or G2 coated?

sirslurpee

What does THIS button do?
Okay I need some opinions and info quick..
I might be going to pick up some new heads for my kit today, and I want to get evans g1s or g2s. Coated. I'm going to pair them with genera resonants on the other side..
Anyway, I am thinking that I want g1s because I don't want to choke the tone too much. I like them a little ringy but I think the single ply coated will kill the unwanted overtones and still give the drum room to breathe. Would a 2-ply head choke it off more? or am I just making bad assumptions?

What do you guys think?

My kit is a pacific CX maple btw, and I am using 8/10/12/14/16 toms..

The G2s are still going to sound fairly open, with more control. They will sound fuller. The G1s will be wide open, with less control. They will sound a little thinner.

My opinion is the G2s, not that the G1s wouldn't work okay. The reason is maple shells, and also the stuff I play (plus I use DWs, the G2s just soud fatter on them)

Try one of each on a floor tom, see which one you like better that way. Also listen close and far away, you may find one sounds better at a distance.

Good luck

well.. it looks like I don't have enough money now to do anything more than the 14" and 16" toms, but that's all I'm playing with right now anyways...
Also I'm tossing up between aquarian regulator and evans emad resonant kick head. I already had a regulator on it and it sounded pretty good but I am just wondering if the emad/emad pair will sound better...

I use G2 clears on top and G1 clears on bottom. The sound is plenty open for my taste. I think I am going to try G2 coated batters next time though. The clears gave me the sound I wanted at the time but now I want a little warmer sound. The clears are fairly bright.

personally i think the eMad just takes away a lot of tone and volume out of the drum. too much dampening, the superkick II and Regulator work beautifully together.

The EQ3 and 4 are both really good heads too... I use the EQ3 on most kicks. Good control, killer tone, the emad is overrated.

Back