FYI for Windows users

RWhite

Just an FYI, if your system is attached to the Internet. Microsoft released a bunch of security patches for XP / Vista / Win 7 in the last 48 hours.

If you have not run Windows Update in awhile, now might be a good time to do so.

Just an FYI, if your system is attached to the Internet. Microsoft released a bunch of security patches for XP / Vista / Win 7 in the last 48 hours.

If you have not run Windows Update in awhile, now might be a good time to do so.

Call me paranoid but my studio computer is never on the net. It can't get corrupted if you seal up the door. I download anything I need on a different unit altogether and only then to improve performance. I haven't needed to do that in a very long time.

Call me paranoid but my studio computer is never on the net. It can't get corrupted if you seal up the door. I download anything I need on a different unit altogether and only then to improve performance. I haven't needed to do that in a very long time.

That's a perfectly valid strategy, which is why I said "IF your PC is attached to the internet" etc. If everything in your studio is working fine, and you have no exposure to the outside world, you are fine. I still recommend updating every time a service pack comes out though. But some of us have to deal with studio PCs that are multi-purpose. And for those folks, its a good idea to stay current on security patches.

Guess we're both paranoid then, I just got a new computer, just an Acer Aspire notebook, but the specs are way ahead of the older tower I was gonna use, but it's memory aint there. I use my Mac on the net, the Acer aint going anywhere near the net. Never going to be hooked up to anything other than the interface and the spokers. Maybe my digital camera, but it don't go on the net either. The Acer is going to be devoted to the studio-ish type thing in the spare bedroom.

Back