Fusion of Celtic/Folk & Hard Rock

Mistral

RyosaMusic
Folk / Melodic Metal

Okie, I'm nearly finished this tune but need your help to figure out what can stay as is and what might need to go.. I'm really quite happy with the overall direction but it certainly went off in a different one altogether than I initially expected.. and well.. you'll see what I mean, probably. Anyway, any feedback is good feedback, and stuff.

NEW version:

Old mix:

Last edited:
Epic metal? Wait... It's under 4 minutes. That's a solid 3 minutes too short to be epic metal! :D

You've got some cool ideas and dynamics here. I enjoyed what the percussion is doing.

I'd personally like to see a lot more "hard rock" in this. The electric guitar didn't kick in until about 2 minutes. For some reason, the electric guitar was panned hard right when it first started? I'd put that closer to the middle.

Most of the transitions were pretty abrupt. It hurt the flow of the song.

The flute sounds pretty fake.

You've got some really good ideas, but it needs more rock and some of the bumps smoothed out. Consult your Elvenking records, young grasshopper!

Hey thanks for taking the time to give some thoughts. I'm glad first of all that you liked the percussion, since the first opinion I got on it was some cryptic remark about NOT liking the drums, that's fine and dandy but I like to know what if anything needs fixing so perhaps it was all a matter of taste on that front..

I did have that guitar panned toward center with an envelope til I re-amped it, then for some reason the envelope stopped working.. I left it as is, but I'll try to fix that.

You're right about the abruptness, that's been one of my issues with it as well. I almost feel like I should keep it entirely "folk" or as you said, put in much more of the metal.. just to give it some consistency.. I like doing something a bit oddball, but in this instance I feel something is out of place.

What about on the vocal front, anything make you cringe? I had considered keeping it instrumental as well, but the song has been with me so long and the first verse was always a part of that, so I tend to want to keep it in there...

My current thought is to do an instrumental mix which is simplified and without the metal parts or vocals, and give a longer version some more time to properly arrange and execute. But some outside perspective is always welcome.

How much stuff on these forums (or anywhere for that matter) hasn't been done? If you have nothing at all to say in context of the song itself, good or bad, I don't particularily care what you think about any given genre.... I only described it in a few words, perhaps it wasn't even an entirely accurate description - judge from the music and then deride it if you must... otherwise you're just being an idiot for no reason.

Whoa! Who peed in your cornflakes? As it happens, Black 47 is one of my all-time favorite bands. I truly love their stuff. If your stuff is a celtic/metal fusion, you could do worse than to take some influnce from Black 47. Frankly, I really thought you would enjoy their music, too.

But you are are right about one thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wI-DX8kRxs

You could do worse than to take some influence from Black 47

As true as that may be, and I'm not sure it is... the point remains that I was asking for feedback on my song, like I could have, y'know, sworn this place was for, at least the last ten years I've been visiting here. ;)

As true as that may be, and I'm not sure it is... the point remains that I was asking for feedback on my song, like I could have, y'know, sworn this place was for, at least the last ten years I've been visiting here. ;)

So, you think you could NOT do worse than to be influenced by Black 47? I daresay there are dozens, nay, hundreds of bands, that are far less creative, original, and/or musical than they. Oh, sure, this place is for feedback- but I defy you to tell me you have never cracked wise in a thread. Part of the fun we have here is to try out witty cracks (or at least attempts) here. And would you disagree that, if you are going to be doing celtic/XXX fusion, you would be better off knowing what else has been done in the genre?

I listened to your song. Didn't really do much for me, personally, but I did think you would enjoy learning of a band that has had some success with a similar kind of thing. If I was wrong, fine, but isn't it time to let it go? I certainly am, as of this moment...

So, you think you could NOT do worse than to be influenced by Black 47? I daresay there are dozens, nay, hundreds of bands, that are far less creative, original, and/or musical than they. Oh, sure, this place is for feedback- but I defy you to tell me you have never cracked wise in a thread. Part of the fun we have here is to try out witty cracks (or at least attempts) here. And would you disagree that, if you are going to be doing celtic/XXX fusion, you would be better off knowing what else has been done in the genre?

I listened to your song. Didn't really do much for me, personally, but I did think you would enjoy learning of a band that has had some success with a similar kind of thing. If I was wrong, fine, but isn't it time to let it go? I certainly am, as of this moment...
I am disappointed that you broke your chain of responding with links to youtube videos of live shows. I would have been impressed if you could keep that trend up for the whole thread. :D

I don't remember anything vocal sticking out as bad; perhaps I'll listen again and let you know if I spot anything.

Mistral, I really quite like the song. I do tend to like multipart songs with odd and sometimes seemingly unrelated sections. I only found one of the changes abrupt, but that in itself ain't a bad thing. It can be quite effective. The acoustic guitars are beautiful and crisp and well blended when joined by the drums. I think the vocals are good and I like the way the main voice blends with the higher one. The initial bit of fuzzy guitar was the weakspot - or maybe just the bit that I felt could be heavier. But then, I like my guitars heavy when they're gonna be heavy. The matter is quickly redeemed though. That last heavy section I wish had gone on and on for ages ! Still, it's a good sign to leave the listener wanting more.
I think I'm a shitty mixer so when I hear some of the stuff by members of HR, I get encouraged. It spurs me on to try harder. I think you've got a good one here.

Stevieb and ChikenMaster, keep the replies on topic. StevieB, don't post links to other songs when someone comes here looking for feedback on his. If you don't have Constructive Comments, then don't post at all.

While this may not be a song I would listen to, I think the mix and production were good. Performance seemed a little loose in the beginning, but tightened up as it went on.

cheers,

Thanks grim and chili!

I have made a new mix that I believe improves several things, tightens it up, cleans up the mix and the guitars hopefully ought to satisfy you now, grim.

Cheers

Listening to the new mix now. Marked improvement.

The vocals sound fine. I could maybe see turning them down a little during the first stanza, but it's not a huge deal.

Getting rid of the the flute was a good call.

When the first electric guitar comes in, it does so guns a'blazing now. Sweet!

I don't think anyone would complain if you added another verse of heavy, guitar-driven epicness. It's going into the Winamp rotation either way though.

Cool :)

I have a piece that I may develop as a sort of extension of SoS, if you like the metal parts in SoS you ought to love this one.. I actually stole the vocal progression of one of the verses from it cause it fit so well here.. Also thematically it works logically as a continuation.. perhaps I can develop this into the basis for an album *scratches chin*

Stevieb and ChikenMaster, keep the replies on topic. StevieB, don't post links to other songs when someone comes here looking for feedback on his. If you don't have Constructive Comments, then don't post at all.

Okay, this is on topic: Mistral, your song sucks. Totally dervative and unoriginal, with no merit whatsoever. "Celtic/Metal fusion?" Yeah, right. You might have just as well called it a Tai/Mexican fusion hamburger, because it has as much in common with whatever THAT might be as it does with music.

And you KNOW I'm just kidding, right? Just to prove it, here's a link to yet another song... :)

If I get banned for this, someone obviously lacks a sense of humor.)

Back