Funky funk tune-with real instruments

I was just wondering if anything was standing out in this mix too much or needs anything else brought up.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=2848- EDIT New song uploaded after applying changes suggested in this thread.

Some recording notes:
1 MXL990 overhead behind the drums
1 Nady DM80 in the kick drum
1 SM57 for the sax
1 MXL 991 Room mic
Bass was direct
Guitar was direct through a line6 PODxt
all direct into the firepod (no EQ or compression) into N-track studio

I did apply some panning and light compression/limiting after-the fact to keep things relatively even-sounding.

Thankx in advance..

Last edited:
nice recording...i think the mix sounds good... drums sound just a little hollow for my taste...but i'm new at this ...just a thought...good tune!

Nice tune. The hard panned guitar to the left was kind of distracting at times when the sax was the lead intrument. Made it difficult to find the "melody" of the tune. Drums were a little weak. Great guitar sound, nice job on the sax, bass was a little thin in the low end on my system. Overall, great job considering the stripped down approach!

Guitars are too loud and the drums need some work. 2:27 things are kicking ass right here, my man.

Nice. It has a really strong room sound to it, like a resonance at a certain frequency. If you have a decent eq I'd see if you can't find a little cut somewhere to open it up a little bit.

Nice. All great suggestions, Zeke, Dal and SuperC. You rock!

I applied or tried to apply some changes in the directions all of you brought up and yeah, that made a major difference for the better. I moved the guitar closer to center, brought it down just a touch and it fit much better. Sax a little closer to center and that was a better to blend the melody without compromising it's space. I turned the room mic off. I also noticed some of the "room delay" from the drums was being picked up in the sax mic-so I nudged the track over a bit to just to cover it up and think that took care of the excessive room. I beefed up the drums and bass a bit with a touch of subharmonic exciter and that was just what the doctor ordered. It's really kickin' now!

Thanks a million for the listen and comments.

Back