Fun little rock song (with a singer that didn't need Melodyne!)

MrWrenchey

I recorded this track at my college a couple years ago, and I finally decided to take another crack at it now that I've gotten better at mixing.

Just wanted to upload the track here to see what other people's opinion on the track was and see if I've actually gotten much better at mixing, or if I just like to think I've gotten better. xD

View attachment Nobody Cares print_02-01.mp3

Thanks for any feedback!

Sounds pro. You seemed to get really clear recordings to work with too. Seems very clean which is what you were going for I guess. Reminded me of brand new a bit :)

I thought it sounded pretty good. I liked the vocals a lot. Well played.

I thought some of the snare hits sounded bad. A little slappy.

I thought the song could use a little stronger low end. It's a little lite.

I the distorted guitar that comes in at 2:15 sounded fairly bad. I didn't care for the tone at all.

I recorded this track at my college a couple years ago, and I finally decided to take another crack at it now that I've gotten better at mixing.

Just wanted to upload the track here to see what other people's opinion on the track was and see if I've actually gotten much better at mixing, or if I just like to think I've gotten better. xD

View attachment 82450

Thanks for any feedback!

Everything is very clean. The singing is excellent. The musicianship is all very very solid (with the exception of a few minor correctable rudiment clams by the drummer, mostly in the kick). Here are the things that strike me about the mix, all of which are subjective/taste/opinion:

1) All of the vocals seem big to me relative to the instrumental mix. It's like you're on stage listening, standing next to a vocal monitor. The vocal parts are all good relative to each other, but big relative to the instrumental. Fix: Submix them, and drop them all a few DB.
2) Drums - Snare sounds kinda round and rolled off, but the hi-hats are very sibilant and shrill, so they sound sorta disconnected from one another; and the kick could use a little bit more arse. Fix: all EQ related. Pump 4KHz on the snare, roll off everything above 8KHz on the overheads, bump 63-80Hz on the kick drum.
3) The distorted guitar that comes in at 2:10 is so misplaced and overdriven that it completely annihilates the vocals there; and pretty much everything else in its path. There's so much "clean" in the song that the choice of sound there seems very misguided. If that guitar was tracked dry and distorted in post with a plugin, try a much less brutal one. Otherwise, I'd consider retracking with something more tasteful. A very, very distracting and unpleasant sound; especially given how clean sounding the rest is.
4) The vocals are all a little drier than the rest of the palette; which exacerbates the feeling of disconnect in the mix. the clean guitar at about 0:50 seems the like the one that should be the model.
5) Since you mentioned Melodyne, if you HAVE it; I'd be using it to correct the timing issues on the kick drum.

With the exception of that one really misplaced distorted guitar sound, these are all REALLY minor tweaks.

Just one guy's opinion, take it for what it's worth.

If you have the raw tracks that don't have effects printed on them, you should try posting them in the Mix This forum. I wouldn't mind taking a crack.

1) All of the vocals seem big to me relative to the instrumental mix. It's like you're on stage listening, standing next to a vocal monitor. The vocal parts are all good relative to each other, but big relative to the instrumental. Fix: Submix them, and drop them all a few DB.
2) Drums - Snare sounds kinda round and rolled off, but the hi-hats are very sibilant and shrill, so they sound sorta disconnected from one another; and the kick could use a little bit more arse. Fix: all EQ related. Pump 4KHz on the snare, roll off everything above 8KHz on the overheads, bump 63-80Hz on the kick drum.
3) The distorted guitar that comes in at 2:10 is so misplaced and overdriven that it completely annihilates the vocals there; and pretty much everything else in its path. There's so much "clean" in the song that the choice of sound there seems very misguided. If that guitar was tracked dry and distorted in post with a plugin, try a much less brutal one. Otherwise, I'd consider retracking with something more tasteful. A very, very distracting and unpleasant sound; especially given how clean sounding the rest is.
4) The vocals are all a little drier than the rest of the palette; which exacerbates the feeling of disconnect in the mix. the clean guitar at about 0:50 seems the like the one that should be the model.
5) Since you mentioned Melodyne, if you HAVE it; I'd be using it to correct the timing issues on the kick drum.

Thanks for all the advice!

1) Yeah, I turned 'em up a lot more than the instrumentals... The vocals are usually something I try to make the main focus, and to make sure they're in the front, I tend to turn my monitoring volume to JUST low enough before it's almost inaudible, and I check what I can hear most. Usually, I'm trying to make sure I can hear snare/vocals, and so I came up with that level. I'll try dropping 'em though and seeing how it sounds. I always buss everything out to a vocal/drum/bass/guitar stem when I mix, so that when there's stuff like the four part harmony this guy has, it's easier to drop one buss than four vocal tracks. Easy fix.

2) I was actually kinda fond of the snare sound personally. I figured I could probably automate it just a little bit to make sure it either stands out or is pulled back at certain parts, but I suppose that's just my personal preference.
Haha, back when we did this, it was all live tracking to an analog 16 track tape deck, so unfortunately I couldn't get a dedicated hi-hat track... But I'll try rolling off the highs of the OHs and see what it does.

3) This seems to be the common thing stated here and I totally agree. Back when we recorded it, I wanted to get DI tracks on guitars for this very reason, but we hardly had enough tracks as it was. The guy setup his own tones and we've both graduated since, so unfortunately, it wouldn't be super easy to get a hold of him to redo the parts... Maybe I'll just retrack them myself at home for my own sake.

4) I've been listening on a few different speakers since I posted this, and I kinda thought the same; especially at the final chorus for some reason. I'll probably add a bit of verb and see if that makes it sit a bit better.

5) I do have it! Personally, I've found it easier to just put all the drum tracks in a group and edit them all at once to retain phase coherency, but I know what you mean; there are a few issues on the timing there (and how he hits the snare that makes it "slappy" as was previously mentioned) that I'd like to fix.

I'll probably be working on this for awhile, for the short time spent on it so far, it could quickly become one of my better mixes, so I'll post an updated version here shortly. :thumbs up:

Check at 1.37 - thought I heard a clip.

Not a huge fan or the distorted guitar sound, get what you were trying to do, just thought it needed more meat on it, and to perhaps be played twice and separated - it seems fairly central - you notice the lack of depth when you get the contrast of the ultraclean guitar which isn't nearly compressed as much because of the nature of the sound.

Same with the bass - it's there but needs something - a bit more volume perhaps but more presence as well.

And FWIW I'm not a fan of the snare sound either.

Almost seems like you've run a HPF on every single track, in which case I'd wind it back a bit and get a bit more low end happening...

All that aside.. cool tune! Bit more work and you're there...:thumbs up:

and to perhaps be played twice and separated - it seems fairly central -
Same with the bass - it's there but needs something - a bit more volume perhaps but more presence as well.

Hmmm... That's odd. It's actually played twice, panned hard LR, and then the only track that's even near the center is the lead guitar part. Perhaps just wind that one back a little to make it sound more separated?

plenty of good happening -.
The kick is a problem as is the distorted guitar but taht's a minor thing and atter of taste - the kick is really a need.
The loud vocals put me off a bit.
the bass does need a little definition - try a 4db boost with a narrow Q at 3kHz.

View attachment Nobody Cares print_03-01.mp3

Update to the song. I brought down the lead guitar during the chorus to let the less distorted guitars come through, and I brought down the vocals in relation to everything else.

I also changed the kick and snare a little bit. Didn't edit the timing or anything so far, just worked on EQ on both of them to fit more of what the critiques were.

Back