Full Fibre Broadband Installation

Slouching Raymond

The CityFibre van arrived almost bang on time this morning at 8:00am.
By 9:30 two guys had layed the cable under my lawn, installed a connection box on the outside of my house, and a termination box inside the house.
After some setting up at the nearby cabinet, and a lengthy power up procedure for the termination box, it gave 4 green leds, which means good.
Then CityFibre is done, and it is up to me to install and initialise the wi-fi router.
Included in the package is an 'eero' router, with the briefest of set up guides.
The eero has just one led which shines through the white casing, two ethernet type sockets, and a usbc socket for power.
The two ethernet type sockets are labelled '2.5' and '1', and there is no further explanation. One of them is going to be the WAN socket, and the other an Ethernet socket.
The guide tells me to download the 'eero' app to my android phone, invoke it, and 'follow along'.
I assumed that the app would connect me direct to the eero router to get it set up.
The app asks for my full name, phone number, and email address, which I enter.
Then it said 'Something went wrong - Try Again', and I go through that loop a few times.
The CityFibre guy suggests my phone should connect directly to the internet, rather than through the router, so I enable internet on my phone.
I then get past the name, pnone number, and email screen.
The eero app then asks me to create an Amazon account, and aggree with their terms and conditions. I learned previously that the eero router is an Amazon product.
I don't really want to enter a conract with Amazon, and my phone is not the best place to trawl through pages of small print, before aggreeing.
At this point I abandon the eero router and look at setting up the TP-Link router I just bought for the job.

The TP-Link router seems more useful, with 1 WAN socket, 4 Ethernet sockets, better labeling, more buttons and leds, and 6 antenaes.
I will go through their setup procedure shortly...

I did the same. Was sent an Erro 6 pro but my existing router, similar to yours, was already in place and had nothing wrong with it.
I continued to use that.

I only briefly glanced through google but my understanding is the eero is a good job if you're into home automation and/or a mesh system with multiple eeros for wide coverage.
Those aren't of interest to me but four ethernet ports and USB are.(y)

I got the same direction to download [drumroll] The App [large reverb] to my phone when setting up my wifi router. I blew it off and found it was not required.

Nothing ever works perfectly does it.
The TP-Link AX5400 AX73 (what a mouthful of a name) has more meaningful instructions, with diagrams.
I followed them to the letter, but I thimk I made a mistake.
The TP-Link has a local web server on it, for setting up. You can either connect via Ethernet, or a 'Tether App'.
I tried connecting via WiFi, and ended up with umpteen new browser windows popping up, as it tried to connect automatically.
As much as I tried to open the wifi connections pane to disable automatic connection to the TP-Link, up would pop yet another browser window.
So I shut down the laptop, and fetched my music laptop, which has an ethernet port.
Now were getting somewhere.
In the TP-Link setup page, I managed to change the default name of the wifi hotspot, then proceeded to the next page.
It asks me to select the 'Connection Type'. The choices are: Static IP, Dynamic IP, PPPoE, L2TP, PPTP.
I know Giganet does not yet offer Static IP, so I choose Dynamic IP.
It tells me 'No Internet', so I go back and select Auto Detect insead, which then comes up with PPPoE, and asks me for my ISP username and password.
Great!
I vaguely remember entering a username and password, when I placed my Giganet order, and I'm the cautious kind of person who always writes that kind of thing down.
Cripes, where the hell did I write it down, is the question.
Answer: Dunno, it's got to be somewhere...
Next episode to follow.

I've got a system for my passwords as it became difficult to recall those not in frequent use. Every new username/password gets recorded into a separate [TOP SECRET] text file before I even hit the Return button upon creation. It's funny I can instantly recall some last used over a year ago but some I use once a month or so I can't remember for $#!+.

When I switched back to BT from Talk Talk a couple of years ago both of them cocked it up (Well. they blamed each other!) So on The Day I got up to no landline and no internet. I am not good with dinky mobiles due to the aged minces. I talked to my 'attached' neighbour and she was also with BT and gave me her connection code. Thus I was able to piggy back her router for the six days it took BT and TT to sort the fekker out. Bought her some flowers and choccies.

Moral is: If you are switching see if a neighbour will allow you access to their router for the duration if things go wrong...most often they do.
I am on FTTC and get a consistent 35M down and 8.7 up. Fast enough for me and in fact most sites don't get anywhere near 30M. I am also the only one on the system, not sharing with twatting kids!
BTW if you have a router with a USB port you can often turn a USB printer into a networked printer.

Dave.

I'm back again.
I called Giganet Tech Support to ask about passwords, and probably to sound like an old fool who frgets everything.
Nice young lady answered (eventually), and confirmed my connection is PPPoE, and that I must enter a username and password.
She said she could tell me the password, which she did, and I instantly knew that the username and password had never come by me before, and is not one I invented.
Still no internet connection, but the TP-Link box suggests rebooting.
I reboot, and after a bit I get 4 pretty green lights on the terminal box, and another 4 pretty green lights on the router.
We are online. Full fibre broadband is working!!!!!
The router updated its firmware, and all is good.

When I switched back to BT from Talk Talk a couple of years ago both of them cocked it up (Well. they blamed each other!) So on The Day I got up to no landline and no internet. I am not good with dinky mobiles due to the aged minces. I talked to my 'attached' neighbour and she was also with BT and gave me her connection code. Thus I was able to piggy back her router for the six days it took BT and TT to sort the fekker out. Bought her some flowers and choccies.

Moral is: If you are switching see if a neighbour will allow you access to their router for the duration if things go wrong...most often they do.
I am on FTTC and get a consistent 35M down and 8.7 up. Fast enough for me and in fact most sites don't get anywhere near 30M. I am also the only one on the system, not sharing with twatting kids!
BTW if you have a router with a USB port you can often turn a USB printer into a networked printer.
Generous neighbour.
I read about the usb printer trick, and also plugging in a usb hard drive there, for sharing.
I wonder if it will take a usb hub, with the kitchen sink attached.

Cool neighbor. What's in her fridge :eatpopcorn:

My wifi router came with a first time username/password to get it up and running then change the password after.

When I first got my ethernet cable router it was at my previous address and the field tech had to configure it at that location. When I moved here I had my service transferred, unplugged the router there, plugged it in here and it just worked like it was never moved. I tried to tell my ISP this but they insisted on sending a tech as it was considered new service, just to make sure everything was up to spec. It was. It was unplugged for less than 30 minutes. I think that's no more than would be considered a normal power outage, but leaving it unplugged for an extended period (weeks or months) would result in deactivation.

I was reading with interest, then spotted 'dynamic IP' - I wonder how that's going to mess up my NAS drive if the IP address changes? Oh well, time will tell. I also noted that people are saying they just used their old router? If so, the Air Broadband router with 2.4/5GHz connectivity could be useful? Maybe I'll try that because then my door bells, alarms, alexa, TVs and stuff would be able to use the old log ins and passwords???? I can see this going downhill if I'm not careful.

Years ago, the local cable company started charging $8/month rental for the cable modem. I told them never mind, bought a Motorola modem for $75, and it has been running since 2016. It paid for itself a half dozen times. I also added a Linksys AC1900 router for wifi. WIth ethernet, I get about 330MB/s down. I just ran my wifi speed. That's plenty fast for me. A 3 TB external drive is connected for my network storage. I have movies, music, Reaper projects, videos, etc on it. At night, I can just pull up a movie on the bedroom TV, set the timer and drift off to sleep.

wifi speed.jpg

Finally, there's a TP-link printer server that has been on since the days of Centronics printers. My Samsung printer still uses a parallel port. It will support a USB printer as well, but this has worked for me for so many years, that there's no reason to change.

The cable company also has VoIP phone, so I moved from Ma Bell's overpriced service to $20/month service. I like having a "land line" and there are 5 phones at various places around the house. I don't have to have a cell phone with me at all times, and it doesn't run the battery down. Plus it's the phone number that my girlfried sPam Call likes to use!

How did you get it under the garden?
I watched a CityFibre youtube video called 'What to expect'. They dug a 1' deep trench, and buried a plastic pipe containing the cable.
However, in real life, they didn't dig a trench, or use a plastic pipe.
He pushed a spade as far as he could into the ground, pushed the soil back a bit to make a sharp V, then pushed the cable down as far as he could get it.
So the cable is about 8 to 10" deep.
I dug away a dead plant next to the pavement cable point, befor they arrived, to expose the angled cement, holding up a 6" deep vertical boundary slab, right next to the pavement.
They drilled a hole from inside the CityFibre pavement point, right through all the cement.
Then he just tamped down the grass, good as new.

wifi speed.jpg
You're not doing bad there Rich.
Not measured it yet, but I'm paying £32 for 150Mb up and down.

That's what mine is, and wifi6.

View attachment 127283
Fibre cable on the outside.

View attachment 127286
And on the inside.
I will tidy up the cables in due course.
The eagle eyed may spot the Tannoy Reveal 502 speaker, bottom left.
I don't know what folks are like in your area Ray but here in parts of Northampton people have had exposed cables like that vandalized. I would at least get some 1/2 round trunking and "No Nails" it over that cable.

Dave.

I don't know what folks are like in your area Ray but here in parts of Northampton people have had exposed cables like that vandalized. I would at least get some 1/2 round trunking and "No Nails" it over that cable.
It is pretty safe here. I'll see what's available to cover it though.

Well my connection with giganet has been pushed back because city fibre cannot cope with so many connection requests and me changing to giganet put me to the back of the queue so I should have stayed with Vodafone. What a mess so it’s another week! Never mind.

Years ago, the local cable company started charging $8/month rental for the cable modem. I told them never mind, bought a Motorola modem for $75, and it has been running since 2016. It paid for itself a half dozen times. I also added a Linksys AC1900 router for wifi. WIth ethernet, I get about 330MB/s down. I just ran my wifi speed. That's plenty fast for me. A 3 TB external drive is connected for my network storage. I have movies, music, Reaper projects, videos, etc on it. At night, I can just pull up a movie on the bedroom TV, set the timer and drift off to sleep.

View attachment 127295

Finally, there's a TP-link printer server that has been on since the days of Centronics printers. My Samsung printer still uses a parallel port. It will support a USB printer as well, but this has worked for me for so many years, that there's no reason to change.

The cable company also has VoIP phone, so I moved from Ma Bell's overpriced service to $20/month service. I like having a "land line" and there are 5 phones at various places around the house. I don't have to have a cell phone with me at all times, and it doesn't run the battery down. Plus it's the phone number that my girlfried sPam Call likes to use!
I would complain about that Rich. My download is well under yours, just tested it at 37.38 Npton to Glasgow but upload is 8.85 so you are only doing a couple of meg better than me.

Now, it takes two to tango so if most private links have a much slower upload than down how does having a blistering download speed help? I have never had an internet problem that could be put down to my sub 40Mbps download speed but I can SEND files about as fast as you mate!

Dave.

Back