Full Circle - My Love Affair With the Shure SM7B (and the SP VTB-1!)

Bigsnake00

Part I

I just wanted to post yet another "review"/ song of praise for this microphone. My recording setup has been extremely varied over the last ten years as it has typically been dictated by the amount of space/time I've had. I've owned lots of different gear from full blown 1" 16 track Tascam analog machines to strictly computer based DAW, but I have ALWAYS struggled with finding "that" mic with vocals (specifically MY vocals). It reached a point to where I was becoming so obsessed and frustrated that I basically gave up recording for the last 3 years (that and law school has taken up, oh just a smidge of my time).

At some point in this process, I decided to find out what all the fuss was about regarding the SM7. I acquired one off ebay and was greeted by that nasty box with the red lining (must have been an old version). The mic itself was absolutely unimpressive to me - it was just blah! I chalked it up to my ears being used to the sensitivity of a LDC, but even after extensive testing, I just could not get what I wanted --- I think I actually sold it to someone on these boards. Maybe it was just my ability - I mean if I couldn't get that mic to sound good?!?!

Fast forward 5 years. As I said, all recording has essentially ceased. I am in a 750 square foot space with no room for any real equipment, but I am just DYING to do some sort of recording. I start researching setups that would suit me and decided that something small and simple was a must. The Yamaha AW1600 seemed like a good fit - USB connectivity, 24 bit, powerful, etc. Find one on Craigslist locally for $250. Get it home and realize that the CD drive is dead (probably the reason for the cheap sell, but then further realize that I can get a replacement for $10 - thanks douchebag).

My goal is simple, just me laying down some vocal and acoustic versions of songs I have written, doing the final editing in Logic. BUT, the one thing looming in the back of my mind, is how the HELL am I going to get decent vocals. I start thinking about mics, and what my needs are: 1) that small space is pretty noisy (traffic, air-conditioner, etc) - a LDC is going to pic up all that sound....so a dynamic mic would be better right? Wrong, the only dynamic I could think of that could handle this task is the SM7. 45 minutes later I am in the store holding one asking myself - "do you really want to get involved with this mic again?"

My heart tells me "no", but my brain knows better. You see, my first experience with the SM7 was sans preamp - I think it was going into a firepod, not near enough juice. Recent research on my part has uncovered the fact that I need a preamp with PLENTY OF GAIN. How I missed that before is beyond me, but I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice....

Now that I have decided on the mic, I have to find a preamp that 1) doesn't sound like shit and 2) can put out at least 60db of gain. Well friends, the fine Guitar Center stocks NOTHING that fits that bill, or at least nothing that is under $1000, which currently, would not be a good idea for me. You see, I still have one year of school left, and I don't think that my lovely, working wife would understand my need for the preamp of that magnitude. Somehow, standing in that store, I convince myself that a UA 710 Twin-finity was within reach. I'm starting my internship next month - I will be able to afford it.

So there I was about $1100 poorer, but dammit I was going to have beautiful vocal tracks

To be continued.....

...I can suggest a very inexpensive vocal chain that will be hard to beat without investing many more dollars...

SM7 > Rane MS1b mic pre > RNC compressor > your DAW

...the Rane has more than enough clean gain to power the SM7 and the subtle transparent compression of the RNC adds a nice sheen to the thick SM7 tone...

...both the Rane & the RNC can be had second-hand very cheaply...I recently upgraded to a rebuilt Neve 1290 preamp running thru a Safe Sound P1 comp/limiter...needless to say, many dollars later I have a slightly improved vocal chain...but is the upgrade worth nearly 10 times the cost?...probably not...but I track vocals professionally in my home studio and the clients love to see the "Neve" logo...that said, the Rane/RNC combo is damn hard to beat!...

(since my upgrade I have yet to sell my Rane/RNC combo...if interested, PM me...the price will be very inexpensive...;))

IHMO another way to go is to get a nice parametric EQ "outboard" (I have an Orban 242), and a SM57.

Possibly an inexpensive or free computer "plug-in" EQ, but I'm really not qualified to know how well that'll work for you.

Chris

I would recommend not going with the VTB-1...you can do better...it adds noise...the SM7 works and it is a good choice.

Short of the real thing Ill recomend a modeler and there are a few you can choose at a close price point...the technology has improved and I can say it is the next best thing to an API or Neve Lunchbox that will cost several thousand.

The line6 toneports give you 70db of gain...and several different flavors of mic pres.

My setup uses...

I pair my SM7b with a Grace Design m101 preamp. It provides more than enough extremely clean gain (up to a 75 dB boost) which is more than is necessary to drive the Shure. The caveat is that it won't add any color to your vocals--which was a selling point for me--so you're going to get out exactly what you put in.

Anyhow, the Grace is hands down my favorite pre in my tool set. You can pick up an m101 from any number of retailers and it should only run you around $550 or there about and you'll never look back.

-----------

Update: Ah, but I see that in re-reading your post you do have your equipment. My bad.

And it slices and dices carrots! Is there anything the Line6 UX8 can't do?

Makes mountains of creamy coleslaw, no overheating like with the tropical fish, washes your car as you drive home to work. Call now, operators are standing by. :D

Actually you'd be surprised what that package does besides giving you the sound of the preamps youd have to pay over a $1000 a channel to get...it also has all the guitar and bass amp emulations...and an interface.

I like to recomend this...if you put together 8 channels of the combinations of preamps in lunchboxes...you would be spending in the tens of thousands...but we can afford to pick this up rather cheaply...what would make you want to make the mistake of buying something else without trying this first?

Dudes, the way I read this, OP already bought the UA . . . ;)

it seems like there are a lot of people around here that are much more concerned with pushing their own agenda than they are actually contributing to the community. sad really

i want to read the continuation of the story myself. the OP has me interested at this point.

I dont have an agenda...I bought one...and I like it...If I really had an agenda...Id keep it to myself.

Besides I thought he was going to pull that trigger next month.

I allways keep a strict policy of only paying for gear...by using and selling other gear...Id never touch a credit card unless there is an emergancy.

I pair my SM7b with a Grace Design m101 preamp. It provides more than enough extremely clean gain (up to a 75 dB boost) which is more than is necessary to drive the Shure. The caveat is that it won't add any color to your vocals--which was a selling point for me--so you're going to get out exactly what you put in.

...that is exactly why I recommended the Rane MS1-B...very similar straight line, clean preamp circuitry featuring the Burr-Brown op-amp...the sonic difference between the Rane and the Grace is very slight while the price point is somewhat dramatic...no knock on the Grace of course, as it offers more gain output, but in a price conscious situation the Rane will do the job quite nicely...;)

I charge groceries . . . :o :D

...me too!...doesn't everybody?...:eek: ;)

Part II

Thank you to those of you who have made suggestions, but the point of this post is my experience with these products...all of this is past tense.

So, I last left of with my purchasing of a UA 710 Twinfinity preamp to drive the needy SM7b. I was really excited about the 710 but as I said earlier, it was just a lot of money for what I was trying to achieve. I rushed home, unboxed everything, and in 10 minutes I was ready to lay down some vocals. The 710 sounded great, but a little noisy. I fiddled with the settings for around an hour, trying different amounts of tube, etc, but the noise it was producing was a little out of control. I began to show symptoms of buyer's remorse, nay, a full blown case of it. I mean, for that kind of money, I was just impressed, not floored. Needless to say, an hour later I was back in GC making the return.

I had given the VTB-1 some thought, but couldn't find a store within the greater DFW area that carried one. That being said, it was a very attractive piece of gear - plenty of gain, the ability to introduce tube warmth into the signal, and a great price point. I called my buddy Alan at Sweetwater, and by the next morning Fed Ex was knocking.

One word - Wow! That is a sick little preamp people. It was noticeably quieter than the 710, and to my ears, produced a much "thicker" sound when set to full blown tube. Plenty of headroom to drive the SM7b, and the thing is built like a little tank. And the price!!! I could get 6 channels for the price of one on the 710. I had left a vocal track on my AW that was recorded with the 710 and was able to compare the two - the VTB-1 just blew it away.

I cannot express how happy I am with this set up. It is extremely user friendly. I can plug everything in and I know I'm going to get a good sound. And I can get several different sounds out of the VTB-1.

In part 3 I will post some stuff I have done ...

You could have had Guitar center send you the one I traded in for $70...its on thier used list...and it has a Mullard tube in it.

i love my sm7b with my vtb-1 (got 2 of 'em) also.

I've been recording a guy who is a really good singer (kinda thom yorke-esque), and lately on a few tracks I've been cranking the input gain with the tube blend up and it sounds great - smooth but driven.

I love the tube gain on the vtb-1 for nearly anything - sounds great with bass and guitar too...I haven't used any other tube (or 'toob') pres that have come close - the presonus ones I've owned sounded pretty bad with the gain cranked.

You guys are almost making me wish I did not sell my VTB-1. But no regrets, my ACMP-73 and ACMP-84 are just fine.

Back