FS: Yamaha VSS-30 sampling keyboard

toddyjoe

For sale: One Yamaha VSS-30 keyboard sampler.This is the now-coveted sampler from the late 1980's which commands silly money on Ebay because of its easy sample manipulation and use by artists like Sigur Ros. It is also a popular board for circuit benders and those wishing to add inexpensive MIDI control kits made by companies like Highly Liquid. Photos are available if you want to see it.

All functions and keys on this keyboard work and I recently cleaned all the contact points for the buttons on the internal PCBs. However, this keyboard has the following obvious issues: Three of the white keys are broken off. One D key in the middle is broke in half but still fully functional if you press the remaining stub portion. The other two broken keys in the lower register (the lowest G and A keys) are completely broken off but their exposed contact switches still work fine if you press them. If you are only interested in sampling and not piano playing then these missing keys may be a non-issue; they may also be a non-issue if you plan on adding a MIDI kit and using external MIDI control. If you want to replace the broken keys, the entire set of white keys is one piece of screwed-on plastic (Yamaha Part No. VC536100) and is the same set used in the Yamaha SHS-10, thus replacement keys occasionally pop up on Ebay for both models. The final issue is a missing battery cover on the back. I am not sure if other Yamaha models have the same size battery cover but the missing cover does not cause the batteries to pop out on their own once they are in. If you plan on using an external wallwart power adapter then you do not need batteries anyway.

This is a cool keyboard that I was going to post on Ebay but thought I would try an ad first if it avoids Ebay fees. I have another VSS-30 that I got brand new in the 80's with all of the keys, battery cover, original box, etc. intact. so I have no reason to hoard them when my first one continues to hold up year after year.

Send me a message here with a reasonable offer if you are interested. I am in Central Wisconsin and estimate shipping will be about $10 in the continental U.S. I prefer not to do international sales at this time. Sale will include a photocopy of the owners manual that I found on-line unless you do not need or want it. Thanks!

Off to Ebay if anyone is interested:

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-PortaSound-VSS-30-Sampler-Keyboard-/181218349350?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item2a31749126>

Last edited:
Back